Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

An unknow leather equipment strap.

grantsmil

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I found this leather strap, & some others, and I can not identify them. The strap is marked 1915 and has military acceptance stamp. Made of natural tanned leather it is about 16 1/2" (42cms) long and 3/4" (1.7cms) wide. There is a brass pillar stud at one end, with a single sliding loop. At the other end are two eyelet hole cut through the strap that appear are intended to accept the brass stud.

The makers marks are H COX (probably an Australian company)

H.G.R. Ltd (Hepburn Gale & Ross)

CGHF (Commonwealth Government Harness Factory - AUSTRALIA)

Possibly a piece of saddle equipment?

post-6040-1210846201.jpg

Could it be a greatcoat strap or some such implement?

Yours &c.,

Tim

I think this is a piece of saddlery, perhaps to steady the sword. I'm sure it is not a greatcoat strap.

My thought was something to do with steadying a sword in the scabbard as well.

Or perhaps for holding a rolled up blanket together on the back of a horse, very much a horsey thing.

Rob

It is similar to, and I am not saying that it is, to the small strap that fixes the 03 bandolier to the belt, but every one I have seen has been sewn to the triangular buckle of the bandolier.

Gareth

Gareth - wouldn't 42cms be a bit long for that?

Gareth - wouldn't 42cms be a bit long for that?

I think you will find the strap is to connect a horseshoe case to the saddle girth..or in the case of troopers saddles, to the the v-girth.

Have just measured one and it is about 420 cms long. Have a lot of these cases and straps but I don't think any have the 2 slots though ...just one slot.

I do appreciate everyone's assistance.

The 'horse-shoe carrier/sword frog steady strap' is the closest possibility. The only differences I can see is that the usual steady strap is longer and has only a single hole (as CAVALRY TROOPER has correctly described). The other difference is the loop on the horse-shoe carrier steady strap is sewn to the body of the strap, where-as the examples I have posses a sliding loop.

I have attempted to use one of these straps in place of the usual steady strap, and because of their short length the carrier sits poorly on the saddle.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions:

The strap appears too large and thick to be the steady strap for the 50 round P03 five pocket bandoleer.

It is also too thick and heavy to be used as a sword steady strap for the officer's Sam Browne.

I feel that the strap is too short to be used to secure a greatcoat. When looped it has a 9cm and 11cm diameter.

Still hunting........

another option might be that the strap was used for binding the waterbucket and the picket to the sword scabbard. Just a thoughed.. it would fit the measurements.

patrick

Grant,

The strap for patt 84 Shoe case is supposed to be 1' 3" long by 7/8" wide. LoC number is 6261 no further details..

The later MkI and MKII shoe cases w/frog has a detachable steadying strap---no further details.

I have one of the same kind of straps and never was able to postively identify other than mounted use.

Joe Sweeney

Grant,

looks like the steadying strap for a leather ammo bandoleer

Martin

Hi Grant,

I bought a large box of unissued bits of leather saddlery a few years ago and there were a couple of those straps amongst them, both WW2 dated. Definitely saddlery but no idea what!

Cheers,

Taff

Hi

I have two of these straps one 1900 dated, and one 1915 dated, I also was under the illusion they were a steading strap for the horse shoe case, I would like to no what they are then?

Regards Jonathan

• 3 weeks later...

I think the strap we are looking at is this one. It is the stablisation strap that runs to the girth:

BucketJPG.jpg.w560h852.jpg

Hi

I have two of these straps one 1900 dated, and one 1915 dated, I also was under the illusion they were a steading strap for the horse shoe case, I would like to no what they are then?

Regards Jonathan