Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

In From The Cold - 14.05.08

Terry Denham

CWGC added the following 'new' WW1 casualties to its Debt of Honour database today – Wednesday 14th May.

Cpl Charles Walter FORD

20144 2/5 Bn, Royal Sussex Regiment

Died 07.01.16 Age 49

Buried: Lewes Cemetery, Sussex, UK

Pte John William FOUNTAIN

23307 Cambridgeshire Regiment

Died 26.11.17 Age 30

Buried: March Cemetery, Cambs, UK

Able Seaman Albert Frederick HUSK

J/26742 HMS Cochrane, Royal Navy

Died 23.05.20 Age 22

Buried: Tilmanstone (St Andrew) Churchyard, Kent, UK

NOT FORGOTTEN

Cpl FORD was put forward by GWF on 13.12.06 and Pte FOUNTAIN on 22.03.07 – both on behalf of member, chrisharley9.

AB HUSK did not go through GWF but was put forward by member, Neil Clark.

All graves are presently unmarked but will be getting CWGC headstones in due course.

Rest in Peace Charles, John and Albert.

MAY THEY REST IN PEACE

Charles Ford died at 32 Morris Road (his home) from heart failure - his civilian occupation was a shunter with the London, Birghton & South Coast Railway. His DC shows that he was a member of the No 3 Supernumary Coy - Charles is a result of the research I carried out into the East Sussex Coroners Records

John William Fountain lies in an unmarked grave in March Cemetery - he was the very first case that I investigated -my thanks to Paul Reed for obtaining his servcie records for me - John enlisted into the 1st Bn Cambridgeshire Regt at Cambridge 14th Jan 1915 his occupation given as painter. From my investigations I think that he was not a well man on enlistment. His service was with the No 2 Supernumary Company of the Cambs Regt in the Ipswich area. He was discharged 15th March 1916 at Ipswich as a result of him suffering from heart disease. At some point he he and his wife Phyllis May K Fountain lived at 22 Melbourne St, Kings Lynn. He died at 5 Elwyn Road, March - at the time of his death he was a railway labourer. I shall be visiting his grave in the morning just to let him know that he is not forgotten

Terry

I think there is enough evidence on Johns service record to enable the family details to be filled in

Chris

Raising a glass to the memory of Charles, John & Albert (2nd tonight so I better be careful). Raising another to Chris & Neil for their hard work.

Well done Chris.

Remembering the Cambridgeshires - Cliff

• 3 years later...

Re Fountain

I popped over to the cemetery on Sunday & there is now a temporary CWGC marker in place; hopefully there should be a permanent stone there soon

Chris

• 5 months later...

102_0237.jpg

John's headstone is finally in place

Chris,

That's awesome, well done. Sleep peacefully Johnny boy, gone and never forgotten. poppy.gif

• 2 weeks later...