Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Getting around Gallipoli.

chrislock

Hi Guys.

Please forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere. For those of you that have been there, what would you recommend please? My wife and I are fully mobile and enjoy walking with a day sack however, is it possible to visit most sites without a car, maybe even a hire bike if there is such an item. Or is it just too damn hilly and big?? Suggestions please guys!

* Oh by the way, we are staying at a new complex called Gallipoli houses which seems to be almost central in the middle of the peninsula.

Get a taxi to the highest point -Hill 971- then walk/ride downhill all the way from there. Much easier. Cycling would be possible if the cab driver will take the bikes along. To return to Gallipoli Houses after having come down from the high ground and inspected the beaches dont go back up the ridge but rather head towards Ejeabat and return to Gallipoli Houses that way.

By the way what are they charging for a room for two at Gallipoli Houses?

Peter

Hi Guys.

Please forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere. For those of you that have been there, what would you recommend please? My wife and I are fully mobile and enjoy walking with a day sack however, is it possible to visit most sites without a car, maybe even a hire bike if there is such an item. Or is it just too damn hilly and big?? Suggestions please guys!

* Oh by the way, we are staying at a new complex called Gallipoli houses which seems to be almost central in the middle of the peninsula.

Great spot at Gallipoli Houses. Eric and Ozlem are wonderful hosts.

We walked almost everywhere with our guide (Kenan Celik) and it didn't seem to matter to him if there were tracks or not. I think you'd be able to reach almost all of the major sites by bicycle but there would be a few of the more remote places you'd have to leave them behind.

Cheers,

Tim L.

Chris,

We did it with Guides in cars, the bicycle idea looks good though.

We stayed with Eric and Ozlem, couldn't hope for a better stay anywhere.

Regards Charles

Thank you for your advice and recommendations guys. We are on a budget and was wondering whether a car is absolutely necessary or not! We are there for only a week and are travelling down and back to Istanbul by coach, so we don't expect to see everything this time around. Do you think there is a weeks worth, of easy to reach sites on foot from Galliopli Houses? We realy don't want to car hire, but we will if a must!

Peter, google Gallipoli Houses and look for their tariff. My wife has booked and paid for the trip, so I'm just a hanger on ha! :lol:

A horse would be the ideal way to see Gallipoli. Save the scratched legs, the aching muscles, and carry the lunch.

You think I'm joking, I am not. In fact, next time we go, I'm asking Eric to find me a horse.

After the places Kenan took us, I'm amazed I am still in one peice.

Gallipoli Houses? I can not recommend it highly enough.

The food, the friendship, the knowledge.

Our terrace.

A car is only useful to save a few miles walk to get to a battleground, after that the only way is by foot, or hooves, across, up and down.

Kim

Thank you for all your valid points and advice. It is much appreciated. Eric has responded most satisfactory!

Best regards.

Chris.