Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

In From The Cold - 12.05.08

Terry Denham

CWGC added the following 'new' WW1 casualties to its Debt of Honour database today – Monday 12th May.

Pte Thomas ADAMS

60121 15 Bn, Royal Welsh Fusiliers

Died 27.07.17 Age 37

Commemoration: Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial, Belgium

L/Cpl Horace Vivian TREMLETT

P/1537 Military Police Corps

Died between 01.03.17 and 31.03.17 Age 34

Commemoration: Brookwood (United Kingdom 1914-1918) Memorial, Surrey, UK

NOT FORGOTTEN

Thomas ADAMS is a very significant case! He was put forward by GWF on 23.04.08.

His significance lies in the fact that he was the very first case to be submitted by the Forum’s ‘In From The Cold Project’.

We hope his acceptance will be the first of many as a result of IFCP and I would like to thank all the volunteers for their patience and dedication. Your efforts are now paying off and all the hard work is proving worthwhile at last.

Pte ADAMS was actually discovered in a batch researched by GWF member, apwright.

L/Cpl TREMLETT’s case did not go through GWF.

Rest in peace Thomas and Horace.

And well done to all those involved with the IFCP.

Cheers,

Carole.

MAY THEY REST IN PEACE

Good to see the first officially "in".

IFCP is not a exclusive club. If members want to help out, please get in touch with me. You'll be very welcome. The more volunteers we have, the quicker we find the men and get them their commemoration.

John

Raising a glass to the memory of Thomas & Horace tonight. It's good to see the labours of the IFCP starting to produce results.

Also interested to see the lack of an absolute date of death for Horace. As he is commemorated at Brookwood, I assume he died in the UK. It's a bit of a puzzle that a UK death has such a range for the DOD.

Will

He possibly went 'missing' and then was found dead - no specific date known.

Or... As he died in the UK (and there is no way of telling from the CWGC data if he was still in service or died after discharge), he could have died at home and not been found for some time (It still happens today!).

tremlett.jpg

Post discharge death

Chris

All From His Pension Record

Horace Vivian Tremlett

Address at enlistment 25 Chesham St, Leamington Spa - a police constable aged 32. Had previously served with the Royal Horse Guards for 12 years. Enlisted 3 June 1915 at Warwick as a member of the MFP.

Married Maude Marion Moss 20 Oct 1915 at St Mary's Church, Leamington. They had one daughter ???? Marion born 23 Dec 1915 (sorry cannot read the whole name).

Served Home from enlistment to 26 Jul 1915 to 26 Jul 1915 then BEF until 12 Apr 1916 then home until 4 Jun 1916 when discharged no longer physically fit for further military service.

tremlett2.jpg

Sorry there are parts Im having a bit of bother reading

That is the lot from his pension record

Is there enough here to amend his CWGC record

Chris

Congratulations to the "In from the Cold Project".

Myrtle

Must second that

Neil

Terry

do I have enough info to have his name amended?

Chris

I assume the addition of his middle name?

I would think so. If you send me a scan of the pension doc which includes the full name, I'll progress it for you.

Terry

Middle name & his wifes full name

Docs on the way by e mail

Chris

from info submitted to Terry today the CWGC have amended Lanc Corporal Tremlett's entry

Name: TREMLETT, HORACE VIVIAN

Initials: H V

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Military Police Corps

Unit Text: Military Mounted Police

Date of Death: between 01/03/1917 and 31/03/1917

Service No: P 1537

Additional information: Husband of Mrs Maude Marian Tremlett, 13 Regent Street, Leamington Spa.

N.B.: This casualty has recently been accepted for commemoration by the Commission. However, it will not be possible to add his name to this Memorial immediately. Please contact the Commission before planning a visit, for more information.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Memorial: BROOKWOOD (UNITED KINGDOM 1914-1918) MEMORIAL

thanks for your help Terry

Chris

Will

He possibly went 'missing' and then was found dead - no specific date known.

Or... As he died in the UK (and there is no way of telling from the CWGC data if he was still in service or died after discharge), he could have died at home and not been found for some time (It still happens today!).

Terry......Yes I hadn't considered these possibilities when I posted. Quite sad really but as you say it still goes on today.

• 1 year later...

L/Cpl Horace Vivian TREMLETT

P/1537 Military Police Corps

Died between 01.03.17 and 31.03.17 Age 34

Commemoration: Brookwood (United Kingdom 1914-1918) Memorial, Surrey, UK

Grave found

Leamington Cemetery Section 97 Grave 181

• 6 months later...

Have only just found this site but have been researching about my Great Grandfather Thomas Adams 60121 RWF for a few years now and its great to see he is finally going to be remembered, I would like to thank those who have helped me along this journey.

I have a question though and hope somebody can answer? Thomas's name is on an Addenda Panel at the Ypres (menin gate) memorial, does anybody know how long it can take before a soldiers name is added?? I wish to take my mother to visit the memorial and see her Grandfathers name on the memorial.

Many thanks

Guest KevinEndon

Maybe an email to the CWGC could tell you more, this is the usual blog when someone if brought in from the cold

This casualty has recently been accepted for commemoration by the Commission. However, it will not be possible to add his name to this Memorial immediately. Please contact the Commission before planning a visit, for more information.

Send them an email it may well have already be done.

Kevin

• 10 months later...

I am pleased to add to this thread that my Great Grandfather Thomas Adams 60121 RWF has now been added to the Menin Gate Memorial, I would like to thank everybody who has been involved with this case. A great job done by all.