Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Burnley and Accrington cemeteries

CROONAERT

After being asked a few times to photograph certain headstones in Burnley cemetery, I thought it easier (in the long run) to photograph the lot and just put them on a web-page.

Taken a while, but I've now completed all the (CWGC headstoned) wargraves in the following cemeteries - Accrington, Burnley, Fence (Wheatley Lane Inghamite churchyard) and Whalley (Queen mary's Hospital) Military Cemetery. I've about 100 more images from Burnley cemetery to re-size and put on the webpage at the moment, but these should be on by the end of the week.

Any way the links...

Burnley Cemetery

Accrington cemetery

Fence (WW1 only)

Whalley (Queen Mary's Hospital)

Might be of use to someone... :huh:

Dave

Excellent resource, mate. Particularly like the photos of the men alongside those of their graves and the brief biographical details you've put up.

John

I agree with John. I've no doubt that it will be of use to many.

Well done!

Regards

Mike S

Interesting stuff. I wished I had visited them when I lived in Burnley!

One in Accrington you may have missed (but this was not WW!) was the grave of Gunner Alan Ayrton RA. He was killed by the IRA in Northern Ireland 1979/80! He was one of my ex Sea Cadets and I attended his funeral (with full military honours) -May he rest in peace!

Interesting stuff. I wished I had visited them when I lived in Burnley!

One in Accrington you may have missed (but this was not WW!) was the grave of Gunner Alan Ayrton RA. He was killed by the IRA in Northern Ireland 1979/80! He was one of my ex Sea Cadets and I attended his funeral (with full military honours) -May he rest in peace!

no, I didn't miss him. He was killed by a bomb whilst in a Land-Rover if I recall correctly. He, and a Gulf War casualty, aren't pictured on the webpage as they're not world war casualties, but I photographed them for my own records.

Dave

post-357-1210605601.jpg

Nice one,Dave!

I've looked at the Accrington's page & wondered if you knew why the 2 blokes have no stone at all?

Dave

I've looked at the Accrington's page & wondered if you knew why the 2 blokes have no stone at all?

There are actually more than just them two, Dave (along with about 40 or so in Burnley cemetery). They originally had family erected headstones which have now gone. Burnley cemetery has a screen wall listing most of the WW1 dead buried in the cemetery and so the CWGC have no obligation to give them a CWGC headstone (as they are already commemorated on the wall).

I can't quite recall if there is similar at Accrington (there is a cross of sacrifice, but I don't think there are any names on it), but there could well be - thereby releasing the CWGC from having to supply a headstone.

Dave

Thanks for the photo. I remember his funeral well. Later we placed a plaque in the Sea cadet Headquarters in his memory. Another of my cadets from Accrington (Brian Marsden) was killed in the Falklands but was buried at sea.