Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tank corp MM

abdb123

I've just watched a singal MM sell for £1,550. Is that the going rate for the Tank corp or was it a little over the top

Andrew

depends who he was, what the citation was, who has the other medals - lots of things effect price but more than the last one I saw

They have always been twice the price of infantry as far back as the 1970's. These days you wont get much change from 100 pounds just for a pair to a private. Although I must say the price is incredible just for a single which the owner stands very little chance of reuniting with the other medals.....then again the winner may have the other medals in his collection.

your cup half full or half empty Steve :lol:

but you are sadly correct that there is little chance

Depends how long the winning bidder can afford to wait, most medals re-appear on the market every 40 years.

This MM did have a very nice citation, I think he did some good work on his gun then rescued the crew of a stricken tank.

The fact that Citations can be attributed to Tank Corps men must have some sort of boosting effect on prices, over and above a MM "probably awarded in 1917-ish".

Steve.

Andrew

The person who bought the single MM Tank Corps buys all the singles out there on ebay and he is always paying more than £1,000 for a single MM.

It is always nice to drive the price up because you know he is going to buy it.

Am I envious?? only of their money.

Simon

There are some militaria collectors out there who put every last penny of their earnings into militaria and have nothing in the bank, they arent particulary rich. Much respect to those people, because they are braver than me.

If he is paying 1000 for tank MM's then best of luck to him, I think they are worth it.

• 3 months later...

Andrew

Just to let you know I have recently purchased the said MM and it came with lots of documents.

The previous owner realised he had paid too much for them on ebay and has decided to sell now.

17TankMan

There are some militaria collectors out there who put every last penny of their earnings into militaria and have nothing in the bank, they arent particulary rich. Much respect to those people, because they are braver than me.

If he is paying 1000 for tank MM's then best of luck to him, I think they are worth it.

I dont get much chance to put it in the bank the bank either takes it or the evil taxman or my daughter aint sure which one is worst though.

Dan :lol:

tank corps medals, especially from the first world war, are very desireable. The price listed reflects this. Other factors may include where he won it how he won it etc. To give you an idea of prices, i bought a mm off ebay for 700 dollars. It was to a man from the artillery and came with his other medals, and gazette. I bought this at a bargain price. An australian MM is listed as worth as 6500 dollars. So the medal was sold at the right price.

Its just the whole thing of England inventing the first production tank and the ideology of Tank Warfare that sparks the imagination that encourages high prices for WW1 tank medals.