Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

tracing medals

aussie01

:rolleyes: Hallo back again,

After much research my dad found that sidney john jolley was awarded the queens south african medal, we now know he was in the boer war with the lancashire fusiliers, and the india general service medal. One odd thing though the cheshire regiment was in india and burma from 1873 and returned to england in 1889 then ireland in 1895. Sidney's children born in india were listed as the father, sidney, being in the 22nd cheshire regiment the last child being born in 1898, if this is true there was no cheshire regiment in india at that time. Something else I have to chase up with the cheshire regiment/lancashire fusiliers. I have also found sidney's son, Roberts james medal card on ancestry and it says he was awarded the victory medal and the 14 star, although i don't know what that means. He died in the battle of Albert 21st to 23rd aug 1918 and is mentioned in an article The history of the cheshire regiment in the great war. After reading about the battle i was quite moved and as i live in holland will be making a trip in the near future to visit the war cemetry where he is buried.

I would love to recover the original medals, although i realise this will probably be a fruitless search as have they not been thrown :rolleyes: out then they are probably as the bottom of a draw of a distant relative. My questions is are there any website etc where i can search and keep an eye out for the medals. I know that people buy medals on the internet.

many thanks yvette.

post-33254-1210519066.jpg

Yvette,

A great forum to ask would be the British Medal Forum. There's chaps on there that collect medals to all periods. I'm not saying they will know who has the medal, but sometimes someone has a gem of info.

Les