Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

L of C Hospital?

Guest AdrianR8

Guest AdrianR8

I've been researching some Australian Flying Corps personnel and I have twice now come across a reference to 'L of C Hospital', which I am unable to identify either the full hospital name or its location.

I've searched the forums, the hospitals page on the 'Long, Long Trail' site, and the WWW generally with no success.

The relevant details from a Air Mechanic 2nd Class are as follows:

23.5.1918 - admitted to hospital sick

26.5.1918 - admitted 61 C.C. Stn (Casualty Clearance Station?)

26.5.1918 - transferred to No. 20 A?? (Advanced ? ?)

29.5.1918 - admitted L of C Hospital from F.M unit sick (F.M.?)

or - admitted No 39 General Hospital (Havre) [repeat of postings on another page, but with some different info]

11.7.1918 - discharged to Base depot ex L of C Hospital ex sick

24.7.1918 - rejoined unit

The references for the 26th and 29th May 1918 are the most perplexing to me and I'd appreciate some guidance.

Was No 39 General Hospital known as something else? i.e. L of C? I don't believe so, because on the file for the other AFC man I was lresearching, his posting is via No 20 General Hospital, and yet he has the same reference to 'L of C' Hospital.

There is a chance that it is not 'L of C' as the writing is quite stylized and I might be misreading it.

And what does F.M. represent on 29.5.1918?

Thanks

Adrian

F. M. unit could be Field Medical unit.

And I agree with Bob. Lines of Communication basically covers everything outside the Army* Command structure back to the Coast.

* i.e. 3rd Army, 5th Army, etc., as in Battalion/Brigade/Division/Corps/Army/Expeditionary Force, not the "Army" as a whole.

Steve.

It refers to a hospital on the Lines of Communication rather than 'In the Field', and includes all General Hospitals and some Stationary Hospitals, but excludes all Casualty Clearing Stations and Field Ambulances. So 'ex L of C Hospital' is simply another way of saying 'from Hospital' without specifying which hospital in particular.

Sue