Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Battallion,Durham Light Infantry

BROADYSWORD

Pte Thomas Valentine Florian Harland,joined D.L.I.1905,captured OCT 20,1914,died in captivity OCT 31,1918.Has anyone seen any reference to prisoners being taken by the Germans on the 20th Oct 1914.Location if there is one please.

Hello, I believe that the 2nd DLI were part of the 6 Division, 18 Infantry Brigade through August 1914 untill March 1915.

I don't know their whereabouts during this period (yet!) but will try to find out further information.

I believe that there are documents on the National Archives ref WO 95/1617 relating to the 2nd DLI and October 1914 which I have listed a reference to but never got around to investigating.

In the meanwhile there may be other DLI enthusiasts sitting on this information...with luck.

Regards. Jarvis.

Hello, I believe that the 2nd DLI were part of the 6 Division, 18 Infantry Brigade through August 1914 untill March 1915.

I don't know their whereabouts during this period (yet!) but will try to find out further information.

I believe that there are documents on the National Archives ref WO 95/1617 relating to the 2nd DLI and October 1914 which I have listed a reference to but never got around to investigating.

In the meanwhile there may be other DLI enthusiasts sitting on this information...with luck.

Regards. Jarvis.

Cheers for that.I have found out that the Pte Thomas Harland ,2nd Btn,D.L.I. captured on Oct 20,1914 belonged to a reserve force sent to assist the Sherwood Foresters in repulsing a German attack near Ennetieres.This action formed a part of the 1st Battle of Ypres which began on the 18th.The 2nd Battallion suffered heavy casualties that day including many taken prisoner.Unfortunately for Pte Harland,he remained in captivity until his death on Oct 31 1918 in

Rethen/aller P.O.W. camp,Germany.

Any additional info on any D.L.I. or East Yorks soldier with the name Harland would be very welcome,in particular JOSEPH SYLVESTER VERNON HARLAND,Service no,KP/926.D.L.I.

Pte,LANCELOT RICHARD L.HARLAND.Service no,251838.D.L.I.

Pte,WILLIAM AMBROSE S.HARLAND.Service no,21428.D.L.I.

Pte,OLIVER JOHN DAVISON HARLAND,Service no,16129.East Yorks.

All born Willington,Co Durham.

Trouble is there were so many soldiers records destroyed during the Blitz,individual info is very hard to find.

Cheers,Andrew.

Hello Andrew, of the 66 (casulties) Harlands named in CWGC 10 belonged to DLI or EY regiments :

HARLAND, ANDREW BERTIE Serjeant 11580 20/04/1917 Age 30 Yorkshire Regiment United Kingdom XIX. E. 10A. ETAPLES MILITARY CEMETERY

HARLAND, EDWIN Lance Corporal 30879 05/12/1918 Age 28 East Yorkshire Regiment United Kingdom S. II. NN. 1. ST. SEVER CEMETERY EXTENSION, ROUEN

HARLAND, FREDERICK Private 79130 30/05/1918 Age Unknown Durham Light Infantry United Kingdom Panel 128 to 131 and 162 and 162A. TYNE COT MEMORIAL

HARLAND, JAMES Corporal 2179 05/11/1916 Age Unknown Durham Light Infantry United Kingdom Pier and Face 14 A and 15 C. THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

HARLAND, JAMES Private 12/1172 15/05/1917 Age Unknown East Yorkshire Regiment United Kingdom Bay 4 and 5. ARRAS MEMORIAL

HARLAND, M Private 23553 06/10/1917 Age Unknown Durham Light Infantry United Kingdom II. I. 32. MENIN ROAD SOUTH MILITARY CEMETERY

HARLAND, R Private 17140 26/03/1918 Age 33 East Yorkshire Regiment United Kingdom XXXI. J. 32A. ETAPLES MILITARY CEMETERY

HARLAND, REUBEN Private 18859 28/03/1918 Age 24 Durham Light Infantry United Kingdom Panel 68 to 72. POZIERES MEMORIAL

HARLAND, THOMAS VALENTINE FLORIAN Private 9189 31/10/1918 Age 31 Durham Light Infantry United Kingdom III. F. 16. HAMBURG CEMETERY

HARLAND, T W Corporal 34487 15/07/1917 Age Unknown Durham Light Infantry United Kingdom I. B. 13. BELGIAN BATTERY CORNER CEMETERY

I suggest you make a new post entitled SDGW (Soldiers Died in the Great War) help with the name and regiment of each of the particular chaps and see what further info you could obtain. Possibly date and place of enlistment, place of residence, Battalion etc. It's usually a good start to research.

A request for the respective MICs (Medal Index Cards) might also help.

There are normally lots of helpful Forum members who will assist.

Regards. Jarvis.

Hello Andrew, an additional bit of information to your original posting is that the 2nd Bn DLI lost 32 men (fatalities) between 18/10/1914 and 22/10/1914.

A costly 5 days for the 2nd.

Regards. Jarvis.

Andrew,

You may have this Olivers MIC;

Regards Charles

Many thanks Charles.

Regards,Andrew.

• 4 years later...
Guest VIKINGODIN1979

QUOTE (Jarvis @ May 10 2008, 06:08 PM)

Regards. Jarvis.

Cheers for that.I have found out that the Pte Thomas Harland ,2nd Btn,D.L.I. captured on Oct 20,1914 belonged to a reserve force sent to assist the Sherwood Foresters in repulsing a German attack near Ennetieres.This action formed a part of the 1st Battle of Ypres which began on the 18th.The 2nd Battallion suffered heavy casualties that day including many taken prisoner.Unfortunately for Pte Harland,he remained in captivity until his death on Oct 31 1918 in

Rethen/aller P.O.W. camp,Germany.

Any additional info on any D.L.I. or East Yorks soldier with the name Harland would be very welcome,in particular JOSEPH SYLVESTER VERNON HARLAND,Service no,KP/926.D.L.I.

Pte,LANCELOT RICHARD L.HARLAND.Service no,251838.D.L.I.

Pte,WILLIAM AMBROSE S.HARLAND.Service no,21428.D.L.I.

Pte,OLIVER JOHN DAVISON HARLAND,Service no,16129.East Yorks.

All born Willington,Co Durham.

Trouble is there were so many soldiers records destroyed during the Blitz,individual info is very hard to find.

Cheers,Andrew.

Hey Broadysword,those guys your looking for are my great grandfather and great uncles,may I ask how your related?We must be related then :)

I have just noticed how old thread is sorry for the late bump :)