Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Date of entry to theatre of war

redorchestra

Here's an example of inconsistency and that's just on the MIC!:

post-5512-1211325906.jpg

It looks as if the "disembarkation date" was originally recorded as 5-11-14, as both the ink & the hand for that, "WS/5/571" & "5-11-14" appear to be the same; the "Roll states 4-11-14" entry is in a completely different shade of ink and hand from other entries.

Husey is given in "The History of the London Rifle Brigade 1859-1919" (ie 1/5Bn London Regt) as Captain of "A" Company when the Battalion received orders on the 3rd November for embarkation the next day at Southampton. The embarkation on S.S. "Chyebassa" is reported as actually having taken place on the evening of the 4th with disembarkation given at "Havre" on the 5th, "after a particularly calm crossing", so an overnight voyage.

I can't help feeling that because "Disembarkation" and not "embarkation" has been written on this MIC (and at least one other that I've seen), that it was the disembarkation date - regardless of which date actually ended up being used - that was intended by the authorities to be used for determining the "entry into theatre" date. Have any examples of MICs annotated with "embarkation date" been seen?

If disembarkation dates were used, I wonder whether the authorities would have been so harsh as to have refused the issue of the '14 Star to soldiers whose embarkation/disembarkation dates, with an overnight crossing, straddled the qualification date? It may not have happened, but, with the number of troop movements at that time, it's quite probable that it might have.

Nigel