Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regiment number query tracing medal card

Angela Measures

Hello

can anyone please help with a regimental/service number query? I have an Allied Victory medal very clearly showing the following details but can find no trace on the TNA medal index. I understand soldiers sometimes had more than one number but there is no trace of that number as far as I can see on the index:

SPTS - 4651 - PTE W A GEORGE R FUS.

Have no idea how this medal came to be in my family as its not one of my relatives and I'd like to try to reunite it with its righful ancestors.

Have found an Arthur George in R Fus with no. 6446510 but because this medal is not from my family I have no info about Mr George other than what is on the medal so not sure if this could be him.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help

Angela

here

Now this is very interesting, my grandfather Albert Henry Burt was in the Royal fusilliers his number was SPTS 4416 and is not far out from this one. It looks like your man was in the Sportsmans battalion. I have a book on 23rd sportsman and both are not listed.

There was a 24th Sportsmans 2nd battalion, i have always assumed my grandfather was in that. He died in the 1930's, so I never knew him. Another forum member sent me this.

23rd & 24th battalions Royal Fusiliers were the 1st and 2nd Sportsmens battalions both raised in London by E Cunliffe Owen in 1914.

Both landed in France in November 1915.

23rd Battalion (1st Sportsmans)

Raised in London by E. Cunliffe-Owen on 25.9.14. The recruits were enrolled at Hotel Cecil in the Strand. Moved to Hornchurch. To Clipstone Camp June 1915, as part of 99th Brigade, 33rd Division. Taken over by War Office on 1.7.15. To Kandahar Barracks, Tidworth, August 1915. Landed at Boulogne 17.11.15. Moved with 99th Brigade to 2nd Division on 25.11.15. On 11.11.18 located near Le Quesnoy, France.

24th Battalion (2nd Sportsmans)

Raised in London by E. Cunliffe-Owen on 20.11.14. To Clipstone Camp June 1915, as part of 99th Brigade, 33rd Division. Taken over by War Office on 1.7.15. To Kandahar Barracks, Tidworth, August 1915. Landed at Boulogne 17.11.15. Moved with 99th Brigade to 2nd Division on 25.11.15. To 5th Brigade, 2nd Division on 13.12.15. On 11.11.18 located north of Le Quesnoy, France.

regards

Phil

Now this is very interesting, my grandfather Albert Henry Burt was in the Royal fusilliers his number was SPTS 4416 and is not far out from this one. It looks like your man was in the Sportsmans battalion. I have a book on 23rd sportsman and both are not listed.

There was a 24th Sportsmans 2nd battalion, i have always assumed my grandfather was in that. He died in the 1930's, so I never knew him. Another forum member sent me this.

23rd & 24th battalions Royal Fusiliers were the 1st and 2nd Sportsmens battalions both raised in London by E Cunliffe Owen in 1914.

Both landed in France in November 1915.

23rd Battalion (1st Sportsmans)

Raised in London by E. Cunliffe-Owen on 25.9.14. The recruits were enrolled at Hotel Cecil in the Strand. Moved to Hornchurch. To Clipstone Camp June 1915, as part of 99th Brigade, 33rd Division. Taken over by War Office on 1.7.15. To Kandahar Barracks, Tidworth, August 1915. Landed at Boulogne 17.11.15. Moved with 99th Brigade to 2nd Division on 25.11.15. On 11.11.18 located near Le Quesnoy, France.

24th Battalion (2nd Sportsmans)

Raised in London by E. Cunliffe-Owen on 20.11.14. To Clipstone Camp June 1915, as part of 99th Brigade, 33rd Division. Taken over by War Office on 1.7.15. To Kandahar Barracks, Tidworth, August 1915. Landed at Boulogne 17.11.15. Moved with 99th Brigade to 2nd Division on 25.11.15. To 5th Brigade, 2nd Division on 13.12.15. On 11.11.18 located north of Le Quesnoy, France.

regards

Phil

Phil - yet again I am instantly amazed at how wonderful this forum is! Thank you so much for that. I hadn't realised what the SPTS meant. I shall now try a bit more detective work to see if I can trace his ancestors and padd on the medal.

Angela

Thank you so much - I wasn't entering the letters just the numbers!

I only entered the numbers without the prefix. were you putting in the first name or initials?

Mick

I only entered the numbers without the prefix. were you putting in the first name or initials?

Mick

Mick - can't remember now! But all's well that ends well - thnaks to you.

Angela

Angela

If you search this site for the word Sportsmen, there are a number of posts which will give you a bit more information.

regards

Phil