Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SWATLING H.F.S

Neil Clark

Terry,

Not sure if I have ever raised this one before.

I'm now in touch with the family of this casualty. The family confirm his name was Harold F.S SWATLING. The CWGC appear to record him as STEPHEN H.F.

Any advice gladly accepted.

SWATLING H.F.S

Private G/97988 Harold F.S SWATLING. 1st Battalion, Middlesex Regiment. Died 6th November 1918 aged 23 years. Son of Frederick and Jane Swatling of “Little Ashbourne”, Rolvenden, Kent. Husband of Annie Swatling. Buried in the Bellicourt Communal Cemetery Extension, France. Grave reference A.4.

Harold’s death is recorded on Soldiers Died as H.F STEPHEN! Same regimental number and SAME unit! Must be the same man. H.F SWATLING appears locally on Tenterden War Memorial. This set of circumstances led me to believe that STEPHEN H.F recorded on Soldiers Died Great War was a forgotten casualty! I know different now.

Before the outbreak of war Harold was in business with his father as a steam sawyer (whatever that was).

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission give Harold’s regimental number as 13479 and only his initials whereas the GRO Death Indexes gives G/97988 together with his first name – Harold.

Neil

I am a little confused by the info you give. Is this not your man? Different cemetery and number to your text above.

Name: SWATLING

Initials: H F S

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Middlesex Regiment

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 06/11/1918

Service No: 97988

Additional information: Son of Frederick and Jane Swatling, of Little Ashbourne, Rolvenden, Cranbrook, Kent; husband of Annie Swatling. In business with his father as steam sawyer.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: A. 4.

Cemetery: BERLAIMONT COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

Terry,

YES your right! My records are duff. I am in touch with this chaps family and I am trying to correct this error. Sorry to have wasted your time.

Regards

Neil

• 10 years later...

Hi, I am very interested in this soldier and any information about the regimental history (such as a regimental diary or similar ) relating to the Battle of Sambre where I believe he was KIA.

I am related and would also be interested in contacting any other family relatives that Mr. Clark has contacted.

Thank-you.

Best wishes,

Stephen Masters

• Admin

Hello Stephen, and welcome to the forum.

Neil hasn't visited the forum for nearly two years. your best bet would be to try to contact him via his web link in his signature.

Michelle