Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

17th Londons at Loos

dobbin

Can anyone tell me which Battalion of the Dublin Fusiliers it is that is referred to on this attached section of the War Diary Colin

post-20087-1210186715.jpg

CC

Perplexing ! Scanning the page of the Long Long Trail for the RDF I find no match for that battle. Perhaps you can find something there :

http://www.1914-1918.net/dubs.htm

Sotonmate

CC

Perplexing ! Scanning the page of the Long Long Trail for the RDF I find no match for that battle. Perhaps you can find something there :

http://www.1914-1918.net/dubs.htm

Sotonmate

Thanks Sotonmate unfortunately the page seems to be down but I will try later. In all my reading I havent found a link to the Dubs in this instance. My query stems from having 2 uncles, brothers KIA both started out in The Londons the one in the 17th the other I am not sure. The one in the 17th was killed at Euacourt le Abbaye 1st Oct 1916. Then the other whose number appears to be a London issue from early 1917 ends up being killed at Gavrelle with The Dubs on 15th April 1917. Perhaps he was in the London Battalion in 1916 and the numbering issue is misleading. When you consider the difficulties establishing information from numbering it makes you think again. I am interested to know if it is a mere coincidence that I now discover a reference to the Dubs in that May 1916 War Diary linking the two together. It may be mere coincidence but I have long tried to see what tie in there was with the Londons and the RDF and it seems strange having just downloaded these 1916, 17 London diaries that I note a ref to the RDF Unfortunately I cant make out what the letters above the RDF mention are . I am wondering if it refers to a Battalion I cant be sure. Colin

Looks like the initials of the person who crossed it out.

I agree with Squirrel,a military/Civil Service practice with alterations !

Sotonmate

Having read the Long Long Trail again I cant see that any Dubs Battalion appear to be near events engaged in by the 17th London Batt. around May 1916. I wonder what made the writer of that Diary entry mention Dublin Fusiliers( and in 2 places) which he then seems to have crossed through. If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear Colin

Wonder if the support battalion was 18th Londons, the London Irish or another Fusilier battalion and he just got it wrong?