Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli

Stuart Brown

Came across the following today on an Australian news site , there does not appear to be a previous thread.

-----------------

"YOUNG Australians wishing to offer their respects to the Anzacs may have to pay for the privilege, under plans by the Turkish Government to cash in on Gallipoli.

Fenced off ... construction work begins on the gateway to the national park at Gallipoli

Under plans by the Turkish Government, visitors to the Gallipoli battlefields will be charged an admission fee, with tickets to go on sale as early as Anzac Day this year.

This would let the Turkish Government capitalise on the tourism boom to Gallipoli, where tens of thousands of Australians make the pilgrimage to pay tribute to hero Diggers.

Although it has not been announced publicly yet, Turkey plans an admission fee to the Gelibolu Historical National Park, which encompasses Anzac Cove, the British sectors of Suvla Bay and Cape Helles and all of the Allied cemeteries on the Gallipoli Peninsula.

Gelibolu Historical National Park regional head Ayhan Can confirmed the entrance fee plan to The Daily Telegraph.

"Yes, we will introduce an entrance fee to the national park. This will include all services in one ticket," he said as work began on the entrance gate.

Construction began last Sunday and is expected to be completed next month.

The Daily Telegraph has revealed that the Turkish Parliament already has passed a law authorising the charging of admission fees to the national park.

Further legislation, which proposes spending up to $15 million to upgrade facilities and build new monuments, has stalled in the Parliament, in part due to opposition objections to government plans to lift the requirement for projects to be open to tender.

The project could include a light rail, sound and light show, restaurant and cinema -- prompting an attack from an honoured Turkish historian who warns the site risks becoming "Disneyland".

The revelations also have prompted an urgent investigation from the Federal Government to determine exactly how far advanced the Turkish plans are. Mr Can said that he did not see why charging for admission to the park or the cemeteries would upset foreign visitors or their governments.

"If there is an international problem, I am sure that our foreign ministry will sort it out," he said.

The head of Turkey's National Park Directorate, Mustafa Yalinkilic, stressed that a final ruling on charging admission fees to the battlefield area was yet to been taken.

"There are no regulations on this; the question is still under discussion," Mr Yalinkilic said.

However, regulations or not, construction of an entrance gate on the road leading to Anzac Cove began last Sunday.

The work is scheduled to be completed by March 18, the day Turkey commemorates the defeat of the Allied fleet in its attempt to force its way through to Istanbul in 1915.

The plans have incensed local residents, who see the move as an attempt to turn the site of one of the World War I's most famous campaigns into a money-making venture for the country. ..........cont" full article

I could be tempted to think that this is the Turkish April 1st.

In principle it might not be that bad an idea! Most weekends through the season dozens and dozens of coach loads of Turkish tourists visit the key areas at Anzac and Helles - probably far more Turks visit than Australians. The end result is that roads deteriorate rapidly, traffic jams appear and what little there is by way of visitor facilities are over stretched. I should emphasise that it is principally the top road at Anzac, Gaba Tepe and the memorials at Helles which see most visitors, with other parts of the peninsula being quite quiet.

If the access fee helps ensure that roads are maintained and that reasonable visitor facilities are put in place it would be a bonus. Clearly they should not be obtrusive but quite frankly the wear and tear on the battlefield from growing numbers of visitors freom all nations needs to be contained and better (sensitive) visitor facilities would help in the very heavily visited areas. The quieter areas will doubtless remain the pleasant oasis spots that they are even now.

I heard the Australian Ambassador to Turkey being interviewed on radio this morning, and he was definite that there is no basis to the story. "The Daily Telegraph" is the Sydney tabloid, and not the most reliable newspaper on the planet.

A fee to get into Gallipoli wouldn't stop tourists going. What's an extra $10 or $15 for a day or weekly pass once you've travelled all the way to get there. If it improves the infrastructure, all the better.

It will be interesting to see what the Turkish gov't decide to do.

Hopefully as Martin says, the new proposed visitor facilities will be sensitive and blend into the surroundings.

Stuart,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention and for providing the link. We are talking about sovereign Turkish territory here and many other countries charge for entrance to their national parks so I do not see why Turkey should be any different. As Martin and Andrew have already mentioned, if the revenue raised is used to up-grade facilities and to maintain roads etc, then all to the good. Hopefully the worst of our fears about any Disneyland-type structures will not come to pass and the peaceful serenity of the area can be maintained. We will have to keep an eye on the progress of this story.

Regards

Michael D.R.

It seems that the interview with the Australian Ambassador in Turkey actually pre-dates the 'Daily Telegraph' story (which was run on the front page!). So we are led to believe by the other media that the idea had already been rejected by the Turkish Government before the Telegraph made a big issue of it.

The phrase 'a media beat up' springs to mind. Perhaps there was a need to divert public attention away from other stories.

Further to yesterday's story in the Sydney "Daily Telegraph" which alleged that the Turkish Government was planning to impose a fee for entrance to the Gallipoli battlefield, the follow-up (and formal denial) is at:

http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story.js...&storyid=894202

So we have an article telling the reader that something that wasn't going to happen anyway now isn't going to happen thanks to prompt action by the paper!

The latest news from the Minister for Veterans Affairs.

Minister for Veterans' Affairs Mailing List

VA012 Friday 13 February 2004

NO PLANS TO CHARGE ADMISSION FEE AT GALLIPOLI PEACE PARK

Press reports suggesting that Turkish authorities are planning to introduce an admission fee to attend Gallipoli ceremonies are incorrect, Minister for Veterans' Affairs, Danna Vale, said today.

Mrs Vale said Turkish authorities have assured the Australian Government that they do not intend to introduce an entrance fee for the Gallipoli ceremonies either this year or in the future.

"We are advised the Turkish authorities are keen to improve the level of service and facilities within the Gallipoli Peace Park, and in that context are considering the introduction of service fees for the use of some facilities, such as a new reception centre," Mrs Vale said.

"The Australian Government will continue to work closely with the Turkish Government about the maintenance of facilities, but would be concerned by entrance charges for Australians to gain access to the Gallipoli War Cemetery and ceremonies.

"I take the opportunity to remind Australians intending to travel to Gallipoli this year to be alert to the travel advice provided on the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade web site.

"The Department is advising people to defer all non-essential travel.

"Australians travelling through Europe around Anzac Day are also encouraged to visit other significant sites, such as the new Australian War Memorial in Hyde Park London, the Western Front, and the Menin Gate at Ieper in Belgium," Mrs Vale said.

Media Contact: Claire Bannon 0423 781 896

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This email has been scanned by Superscout email filter.

in addition to Andrews posting, this cartoon was in Sunday's Herald Sun, which is a Melbourne paper, yesterday.

Courtsey of the Herald Sun

Peter

PS note that the cartoon is available from the Herald Sun Shop at the address on the cartoon

Can I enter a British perspective on this and ask a question.

Do we have to pay an entrance fee to visit the Unknown Warrior in Westmister Abbey?The last time I visited I did not see any clear signage saying access to Him was free.

The last time I visted Edinburgh Castle I know access to the Scottish War Memorial only was free as there was a clear sign advising this.

George

Peter,

What an absolutely fan-bloody-tastic cartoon. Read and bear well in mind, everyone!

Big applause to the Herald Sun, or as an RAF type of my acquaintance says, in his ultimate expression of approval 'top banana'.

Nearly as powerful as those two WW2 cartoons; the merchant seaman barely alive ontop of a piece of flotsam, caption 'The price of petrol has increased by one penny - official' and the one of the wounded soldier covered in bandages handing over a wreath marked 'the peace' (or was it 'Victory in Europe?') and saying 'Here, don't squander it this time..'

Phil