Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Ordnance Factory- Pembrey

ronaldaroo

A little modern stuff - I think it is now part of Pembrey Country Park and there was a 'scare' a few years back when a former employee claimed that the site was dangerous due to ammunition residues etc.

I think its run by the Council in Llanelli - not sure of the precise title - possibly Carmarthenshire County Council - they must have archive records on it.

Bernard Lewis

Bernard

• 3 months later...
I'll check with Mother-outlaw, who grew up in Pembrey, and has a sister there.

Any further info/photos/reminiscences etc?

Ronald John Saunders

Ronald

Pembrey Country Park was in 1881 the site of Nobel’s Dynamite Works, in 1914 this was succeeded by the Ordnance Factory. A new Royal Ordnance Factory was built in 1937 and employed over 2,000 staff during the Second World War. The 570 acre site was bought by Council in the 1970’s and turned into a major tourist attraction.

Nobel's are now part of ICI.

Dave

Have emailed I.C.I. about the Nobel's Dynamite Works in Pembrey and they have emailed a marvellous replyabout the history of the Pembrey site.

Apparently Nobel's is no longer part of I.C.I.

Ronald John Saunders

Was this site bombed WWII? Were filling factories etc unusually appealling targets for the Luftwaffe? I ask because we almost had one built here (a farcical episode which I may relate another time) and I'm just wondering if the whole town could have been obliterated in putative aerial attacks - the factory would have been on the floodplain by the river, presumably an easy target to navigate to.