Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tackeroo

jnorthall

I'm going to to do the 'Cannock Chase War Trail' walk on Saturday and keep seeing references to the Tackeroo railway line.

I can gather that it was a train line used at the camps on Cannock Chase and environs, but would like to read more.

Can anyone help???

I have just bought a very good book from the museum of cannock chase called a town for four winters,it is all about the camps and has some references, maps and photos of the railway, a bargain at £4.99,they have just opened a restored great war hut a couple of weeks ago,looks worth a visit.

cheers,

John.

I have just bought a very good book from the museum of cannock chase called a town for four winters,it is all about the camps and has some references, maps and photos of the railway, a bargain at £4.99,they have just opened a restored great war hut a couple of weeks ago,looks worth a visit.

cheers,

John.

Thanks John - I'll get a copy.

Yes, I'd spotted the hut: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...l=cannock+chase. If I go before you, I'll post a review.

post-29968-1210023914.jpg

John

I led a tour around the Cannock Chase WW1 sites for the South Staffs Pals a couple of years back. If you want to PM me your e-mail addy I'll mail you a copy of the relevant parts. I believe that since then the wardens have finally identified the whole route of the track 'on the ground'. Also I believe that practice trenches have recently been found - I wonder if they'll show you those.

Roy