Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt Oswald Bethell Walker 15th (The King's Hussars)

marine pete

Capt Oswald Bethell Walker 15th (The King's Hussars) Household Cavalry and Cavalry of the Line Killed in Action 23rd August 1914 Aged 39 Son of Captain and Mrs Edwyn Walker of Mill Mount House York, Husband of Mrs Marcia Eugenia Walker Remembered LA FERTE-SOUS-JOUARRE MEMORIAL Any Information Please Peter.

lots on the mic -

post-3871-1209929511.jpg

lots on the mic -

Thanks Coldstreamer Top Man On the Ball Tonight Regards Peter.

send me a PM if you need a better copy

send me a PM if you need a better copy

Thanks Coldstreamer The MIC is fine this man is one of my freemasons from Yorkshire North and East Ridings Regards Peter.

Hello Peter

from the 'History of the 15th Hussars'...

'Meanwhile, during the night, Captain O. B. Walker, who commanded A squadron, had been despatched on a special mission. He was never heard of again, and his fate remained uncertain until the end of the war. Some time after the Armistice, his body was found, where he had been reverently buried by the enemy. That evening, as soon as it became evident that Captain Walker was missing, Lieutenant C. H. S. Whittle assumed command of A squadron.'

the above took place somewhere near Nouvelles/Frameries.

Hope this is of use.

Ian

Hello Peter

from the 'History of the 15th Hussars'...

'Meanwhile, during the night, Captain O. B. Walker, who commanded A squadron, had been despatched on a special mission. He was never heard of again, and his fate remained uncertain until the end of the war. Some time after the Armistice, his body was found, where he had been reverently buried by the enemy. That evening, as soon as it became evident that Captain Walker was missing, Lieutenant C. H. S. Whittle assumed command of a squadron.'

the above took place somewhere near Nouvelles/Frameries.

Hope this is of use.

Ian

Thank You Ian this is a great help Regards Peter.

Pete

1. Commissioned as Second Lieutenant in 4th Bn. West Yorkshire Regt. (LG#26498, 27 March 1894)

4th Battalion, the Prince of Wales's Own (West Yorkshire Regiment),

Oswald Bethell Walker, Gent, to be Second Lieutenant. Dated 10th March, 1894.

Link is Here

2. Promoted to Lieutenant (LG#26720, 10 March 1896)

4th Battalion, the Prince of Wales's Own (West Yorkshire Regiment),

Second Lieutenant O. B. Walker to be Lieutenant. Dated 11th March, 1896.

Link is Here

3. Commissioned as Second Lieutenant in 15th Hussars (LG#26774, 4 September 1896)

Lieutenant Oswald Bethell Walker, from 4th Battalion the Prince of Wales's Own (West Yorkshire Regiment), to be Second Lieutenant,

vice J. Knowles. Dated 5th September, 1896.

Link is Here

4. Promoted to Lieutenant (LG#26881, 10 August 1897)

15th Hussars,

Second Lieutenant O. B. Walker to be Lieutenant, vice L. E. Kennard, promoted. Dated 14th July, 1897.

Link is Here

5. Promoted to Captain (LG#27620, 27 November 1903)

15th Hussars,

Lieutenant Oswald B. Walker, to be Captain, vice L. E. Kennard, promoted. Dated 10th October, 1903.

Link is Here

6. Seconded as Adjutant to Territorial Yeomanry (LG#28191, 3 November 1908)

15th (The King's) Hussars,

Captain Oswald B. Walker is seconded for service as an Adjutant of Territorial Yeomanry. Dated 1st October, 1908.

Link is Here

7. Restored to Establishment (LG#28632, 2 August 1912)

Supernumerary Captain Oswald B. Walker is restored to the establishment. Dated 17th July, 1912.

Link is Here

Hope it helps.

Steve

7. Restored to Establishment (LG#28632, 2 August 1912)

Supernumerary Captain Oswald B. Walker is restored to the establishment. Dated 17th July, 1912.

Link is Here

Hope it helps.

Steve

Thanks Steve this has given me a good insight the Man. Top Man Steve Regards Peter.

• 12 years later...

I am resurrecting this old thread in order to confirm that Walker went missing on the night of the 23-24 August 1914 (his death is recorded as the 23rd). Any ideas as to what his special mission might have been?

Thanks

Mike

5 hours ago, Perth Digger said:

I am resurrecting this old thread in order to confirm that Walker went missing on the night of the 23-24 August 1914 (his death is recorded as the 23rd). Any ideas as to what his special mission might have been?

Thanks

Mike

War Diary doesn't add much but does confirm the evening of the 23rd. Edit to add his I.C.R.C. card which describes him as wounded. All the numbers refer to registers that no longer exist, so no further info.

95-1399-1.pdf

C_G1_E_15_01_0086_1732_0.JPG

Edited by lostinspace

Many thanks. He had been in A Company. Do your sources say which brigade the Company was attached to? I believe that the 15th Hussars were divided at the time.

Mike

Edited by Perth Digger

4 hours ago, Perth Digger said:

Many thanks. He had been in A Company. Do your sources say which brigade the Company was attached to? I believe that the 15th Hussars were divided at the time.

Mike

A Squadron, not Company, was attached to the 3rd Division: the 15th and 19th Hussars were broken up, one Squadron of each attached to the 6 divisions of the BEF,.

Thanks Steven. I reminded myself to write Squadron but of course forgot.

Mike

Easily done. The important point would be that his squadron was already detached from the regiment, so would, presumably, be under command of the GOC and his Staff as a recce/communications asset.

9 hours ago, Perth Digger said:

Mike

On the 23rd A Squadron was split up with each of the four troops being assigned different tasks. The war diary pdf for the 23rd is located just above the I.C.R.C. card which explains which troops went where during the day. Unfortunately, the diary doesn't indicate what Walker was up to, even though he commanded the squadron. The history says his body was "reverently" buried by the enemy, but the location must have been lost since he is commemorated on the La Ferte-Sous-Jouarre Memorial.

His brother, Major Wilfred Beckett Walker (2 Bn. Yorkshire Regiment), was killed at Ypres on 29 October, and is commemorated on the Menin Gate Memorial.

Lost: Apologies, I didn't see the pdf. Thanks for that.

Steven: I take the point. Thanks.

His MIC gives DOD as 28 August 1914, which was probably when he was first reported missing. He was officially presumed dead in August 1915 and confirmation came after the war.

Mike