Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Abbeville Communal Cemetery photo request

Ravrick

Hi, if any forum member is able or planning to visit this cemetery I would appreicate a photo of the following soldiers headstone.

Name: STEWART, CHARLES EDWARD

Initials: C E

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Manchester Regiment

Unit Text: 20th Bn.

Date of Death: 10/09/1916

Additional information: Son of Mr. and Mrs. J. F. Stewart, of Leeds.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: VI. H. 18.

Cemetery: ABBEVILLE COMMUNAL CEMETERY

many thanks, Rick

• 3 months later...
Hi, if any forum member is able or planning to visit this cemetery I would appreicate a photo of the following soldiers headstone.

Name: STEWART, CHARLES EDWARD

Initials: C E

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Manchester Regiment

Unit Text: 20th Bn.

Date of Death: 10/09/1916

Additional information: Son of Mr. and Mrs. J. F. Stewart, of Leeds.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: VI. H. 18.

Cemetery: ABBEVILLE COMMUNAL CEMETERY

many thanks, Rick

Rick, Do you still need this ?

Please PM me if you do

Peter

Sorry Rick, Just comeback from Abbeville,

Only just seen this thread

Good luck

Liam

• 8 months later...

If anyone is going to Abbeville Communal Cemetery sometime, could they take a photo for me please?

Whilst there, could they take a couple for me too?

Bruce

I'll be near Abbeville for a few days from 16th May and could go and take a few photos at the Communal Cemetery. However, I must warn you that my photography skils leave alot to be desired.

If anyone wants photos I will also definitely be visiting the cemetery at Bronfay Farm near Bray sur Somme to pay my respects to my great uncle Richard Knight who is buried there.

Den

Den,

Many thanks for stepping forward. Could you kindly take photos of these two headstones please:

2/Lt Percival LUCAS grave IV. F. 13

Sgt Harry C GREEN grave IV. B. 8.

Thankyou

Kate

• 2 weeks later...
Guest wjmcd2000

Regarding the headstone of 2LT Charles Edward Stewart . . . I live in the United States and I am a 2nd cousin to Charles Edward Stewart (died Sept 10, 1916). I have a beautiful photo of the headstone from a visit to the Abbeville Cemetery in Fall of 2003. I can make a copy and send it to "RAVRICK." Charles Edward Stewart was one of five Stewart brothers who died in the Great War. Willie Stewart died at Gallipoli in 1915. Charles Edward Stewart died at Abbeville in 1916. Leonard Stewart died in Manchester from wounds in France. He is buried in Lawnswood Cemetery in Leeds. Alfred Stewart died in France in 1918. His body was never recovered. Arthur Stewart died in January of 1919 on a troop transport ship returning from East Africa. He was buried at sea. These five boys were the sons of James Frederick Stewart and Ada Stewart of Leeds. Two other brothers served in the military. The youngest brother, the 8th brother, did not serve. Needless to say, the death of the Five Stewart Brothers devastated the family and practically wiped out the entire family. Perhaps there are relatives out there who do not know the story. However, I live in the United States, near Philadelphia, and the story was passed on to me. In 2003 a documentary was made by BNT Productions of Leeds about the Five Stewart Brothers. The story has appeared on the History Channel. Again, I am a 2nd cousin to these Five Stewart Brothers.

Rick,

I am merging this thread with another one with the same title!

Den,

Have a good trip, and I hope you get some lovely spring weather.