Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Harrowby Camp, Grantham Lincolnshire

jnickwilliams

Hi,

I'm a new member to the Forum.

I was wondering if anyone has information about the Machine Gun Corps training camp at Harrowby, especially its layout and the daily routine. I know that it was built in 1915 and had a theatre and sports ground as well as ranges. My grandfather was posted there, to the 35th Cadet Depot, in June 1917 where he underwent training for his commission into the MGC.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

I'm a new member to the Forum.

I was wondering if anyone has information about the Machine Gun Corps training camp at Harrowby, especially its layout and the daily routine. I know that it was built in 1915 and had a theatre and sports ground as well as ranges. My grandfather was posted there, to the 35th Cadet Depot, in June 1917 where he underwent training for his commission into the MGC.

Nick

Malc Baxter is the man you need to talk to he posted on here awhile ago about his books being stolen from a storage depot.

There isnt anything he doesnt know about Harrowby

John

Thanks for the info John. Any idea how I can contact Malc? (I dont really know my way round the system yet).

regards,

Nick

• 3 years later...

This is the first time I've ever used a forum and I've very little knowledge of how things work. I noticed this discussion about the Machine Gun Corps at Harrowby Camp in Grantham and was interested because my grandfather was stationed there after the war and I'm keen to find out as much information as I can about the place. One of the members has suggested contacting Malc Baxter because he has knowledge of the camp. I would like to contact him also, but I've been unable to as when I click on the address given I get a message telling me I'm not allowed access. Does anyone know why this happens? Any advice would be most welcome. Thank you. Howard

Howard

The reason you cannot contact Malc Baxter is that you need a certain number of posts, it used to be five but it was reduced to two for a trial period Try again to PM him or try to send an E mail through the site. Click to the right just under his rank by a posting of his.

Regards

John