Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War poets

Guest March1918

Given that the Forum is driven by words I though it appropriate to find a place to mention the Graves, Owens, Sassoons et al. Links, comments and views would enlighten me and I’m sure many others. Remembering in the first instance Robert Graves (1895-1985).

A holiday in Majorica last summer was not exactly my cup of tea but a trip up to Deia became the highlight of the week not least because of the stunning scenery. Graves' home here clearly influenced his later work and such a contrast to those War experiences. He is buried in the small churchyard which dominates the village and the steep valley that falls out of Sierra del Teix down to the rugged northern Majorican coast. I reached the cemetery at the back of the church (actually it’s at the front as you approach the church at the rear) gate-crashing a wedding in the process! With friendly assistance I found the grave marked with a simple concrete slab with the inscription roughly etched ‘Robert Graves, Poeta (Poet), -- 2 1895, 7 12 1985’.

Peter

post-1-1076587026.jpg

• Admin

Peter,

I suggest that the month of Graves' birth is a badly formed 7, he was born 24th July, 1895.

BTW, on our local news magazine TV slot the other day there was a poll to find the West Country Hero. Sassoon was nominated and the blurb was accompanied by a lovely photo.............

of Wilfred Owen! :ph34r:

Michelle

Thanks Michelle. The continental 7 becomes clearer the more you view it. I didn't look it up on purpose as I knew someone else would. Dates in research are a menace as we found with Pte Parr of 4/Mddx. Does anyone know where Siegfried or Wilfred were laid to rest?

Peter

• Admin

Peter,

Siegfried Sassoon is buried in the churchyard of St Andrews church, Mells Somerset, Wilfred Owen is buried in Ors Communal Cemetery. If you want photos, I'm off to Ors end of April, and Mells isn't a million miles from where I live.

Regards, Michelle :blink:

Many thanks Michelle. Ors has cropped up a couple of times in threads and caused me to look it up and a** of me I’ve actually been there. Must have been concentrating on Landrecies and Le Cateau at the time some while ago but IIRC it is a small cemetery in mixed pasture and woodland requiring ‘Wellys’ Or if not there is another one accessed under close supervision of ‘four legged friends’. I was unaware that Wilfred was there but just proves the benefit of this forum. Will return to Ors IDC but welcome a photo of Owen’s grave perhaps on Forum as you are there first.

Peter