Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3rd Battalion Artists Rifles

Walwyk

Could someone tell me where the 3rd Battalion was stationed during the years leading up to WW1?

I have pieced together some information based on the life of my Great Uncle. Major Ernest John Van Walwyk 4859 (enlisted in 4th battalion in 1897).

1900=Ireland

1908=Malta

1910=Egypt then Hampshire England.

You might want to check that. The Artists were a Volunteer, then Territorial, Battalion. Pre-War I suspect there was only one Battalion, and it wouldn't have served overseas. The possibility is you're looking for the Rifle Brigade or King's Royal Rifle Corps, who were both regular Regiments with 4 Battalions each.

Also, I think officers didn't have numbers, so the detail you give might be a bit mixed, too.

Just an observation....I could be wrong (often am).

I think that you must have the wrong regiment. The Artists Rifles (28th Londons) were a Territorial regiment and hence did not serve overseas. They only had one battalion up until the outbreak of war in 1914 and this was based in London. A 2nd and then a 3rd battalion were formed in 1914, but the latter had only a brief existence, becoming the 2nd Battalion in November 1915. The original 2nd battalion was absorbed by the 1st Battalion.

Perthaps your Great Uncle was in the King's Royal Rifle Corps or Rifle Brigade, both of which had four Regular battalions in 1914?

Charles M

Now I am confused! EJVW joined the army in 1897. Hence he has an army number! Yes it appears it was The Rifle Brigade, 4th battalion. He served in the Boar War. His Regiment was 28th London ie Artist's Rifles. One child was born in Dublin and one in Valetta Malta then he was in Egypt before returning to Hampshire where his young wife died.

I am sorry I don't know my Battalions from my Regiments but I do have a lot of 'notes' which I am trying to piece together.

I do appreciate your replies as this is all so interesting.

In WW1 he was in the Rifle Brigade and was captured in the fighting on the Aisne River 21.10,1914.

We think his unit joined the BEF and left for France in the September of 1914.

But it's before the war that I am interested in?

walwyk,

Could this be your man, 3rd RB, Warrant Officer.

Andy

post-1871-1209840268.jpg

4th Battalion Rifle Brigade in the Boer War, awarded Queens South Africa Medal with Cape Colony, Orange Free State and 1902 clasps.

Andy

1914 Star roll shows overseas on 10/9/14 as a CQMS, clasp issued 3/3/20.

Andy

Walwyk,

4th Battalion were in the following:-

1900 Dublin

1901 Dublin leaving from Queenstown for South Africa on 16/12/01

1902 arrived Cape Town on 4/1/02, went onto the Kroonstadt Line

1903 left Cape Town 13/1/03 arrived Southampton 4/2/03 then marched to Chatham

1904 Chatham

1906 Malta

1907 Malta

1908 Malta

1909 Alexandria, Egypt with a detachment in Cyprus

1910 Cairo

1911 Cairo

1912 Khartoum, with detachment at Alexandria

1913 Dagshai, India.

Andy

3rd RB

1910 Tipperary, Ireland

1911 as above

1912 as above

1913 Cork, Ireland

Andy

Walwyk,

If you need information on the 4th or 3rd RB in these periods let me know. By the way, when they were based in Chatham, 300 of the Battalion were sent to London for guard duties at the Tower of London.

Andy

Walwyk,

If you need information on the 4th or 3rd RB in these periods let me know. By the way, when they were based in Chatham, 300 of the Battalion were sent to London for guard duties at the Tower of London.

Andy

THANK YOU give me time to digest all the info. This is my man!

not sure whether I am 'replying' correctly?

Thank you all for info. I need time to organise it.

Susanne

Susanne,

No problem, take all the time you need to organise it, let me know what you need and I will see if I can help out a bit.

Andy

Walwyk,

Andy

I should like some details about what these battalions were doing in Malta and then Cairo? I think EJVW was in Valetta, where in Cairo do you think he was? He never got to India as he was POW by the end of 1914.

Susanne

Susanne,

If you send me your e-mail address I will scan and send you the Battalion letters stating what they had been doing each year.

Andy

Susanne,

The 4th RB during their time in Cairo where based in the Citadel.

Andy

Guest mattyp1
I think that you must have the wrong regiment. The Artists Rifles (28th Londons) were a Territorial regiment and hence did not serve overseas. They only had one battalion up until the outbreak of war in 1914 and this was based in London. A 2nd and then a 3rd battalion were formed in 1914, but the latter had only a brief existence, becoming the 2nd Battalion in November 1915. The original 2nd battalion was absorbed by the 1st Battalion.

Perthaps your Great Uncle was in the King's Royal Rifle Corps or Rifle Brigade, both of which had four Regular battalions in 1914?

Charles M

Hi, in reference to the Artists Rifles i have recently come into the possesion of a photo of D Company 2nd Battalion (Artists Rifles) taken at Gidea Park in May 1918, i just wondered if anyone had any information on this Company, much appreciated, Matt.