Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Victory/Victory II

halifax

I've found on a naval service record that a seaman was posted to HMS Victory & Hms Victory II during the early part of WW1. Any body what HMS Victory/Victory II was used for during the period 1910 - 1915.

Steve

Hello Steve,

There have been threads on this before. If you put HMS Victory into the search facility it should bring them up.

Regards,

ARABIS.

Steve,

As Arabis says a search will give you many answers, here is a quick list;

The various 'Victory' shore bases during the WW1 period were...

Victory I = Portsmouth

Victory II = Crystal Palace

Victory III = Portsmouth

Victory IV = London/Portsmouth/Petersfield/Crystal Palace

Victory VI = Crystal Palace

Victory VII = Portland

Victory IX = Portsmouth

Victory X = Portsmouth

Victory XI = Portland

Regards Charles

• 14 years later...

Hi,my great grandfather's first post was victory 2 on 9 July 1910 only for the month then went on to serve on many other ships

You need to read and understand why seamens' certificates of service were completed in the manner they were. Tagging each and every thread that mentions the name of an Accounting Base to which your great grandfather was linked to, for reasons of pay and discipline, will not reveal anything of note. 

What it does reveal is the fact that ISofH’s GGF was very likely an RN stoker.

MB

1 hour ago, KizmeRD said:

What it does reveal is the fact that ISofH’s GGF was very likely an RN stoker.

Cheers,
Peter

But in general, Naval Ports Accounting Bases with the suffix ‘I’ e.g. Victory I (Portsmouth), Vivid I (Plymouth), Pembroke I (Chatham) dealt with Seamen, Telegraphists & Signalmen, whereas Accounting Bases with the suffix ‘II’ were responsible for Engine-room ratings pay.

PRC thanks for linking this to ISofH’s other thread regarding his GGF. He obviously wasn’t a stoker aboard Nelson’s Victory, so it’s reasonable to assume that he was in Portsmouth for training purposes.

MB

• 8 months later...
On 20/06/2022 at 14:05, In search of history said:

Hi,my great grandfather's first post was victory 2 on 9 July 1910 only for the month then went on to serve on many other ships

Hi there, My grandfather was also aboard the Victory II on 8th July 1910.  He died when my mother was a child, so I am trying to piece together some family history.  Do you have much info on the crew or any photos from then please?

14 minutes ago, SeaHistory said:

Do you have much info on the crew or any photos from then please?

Sorry to disappoint but therewas no such thing as a "crew" for VICTORY II. HMS VICTORY was a large naval barrcks complex with a numerous and largely transitory population. So, there was no such thing as a 'crew list' or 'crew photograph'. Your chances of finding an image of your GGF at Portsmouth are vanishingly small.

8 minutes ago, horatio2 said:

Sorry to disappoint but therewas no such thing as a "crew" for VICTORY II. HMS VICTORY was a large naval barrcks complex with a numerous and largely transitory population. So, there was no such thing as a 'crew list' or 'crew photograph'. Your chances of finding an image of your GGF at Portsmouth are vanishingly small.

Thank you, that is a shame.

He also has Renown, Victory I, Roxburgh, Invincible and Britannia on his record.  Do you think there is a likelihood of finding anything with those? I have looked through the national archives and only found what I think is the enlistment document (the one that has all these listed, dates etc). It seems that a lot of info is missing from the archives and only a small portion survived which is a huge shame.

Again, close to impossible for VICTORY I (barracks). The other three were all sships and crew images may be out there: difficult to find and (if they exist) unlikely to mtach dates for your GGF. Dream on but be aware that the taking of photographs was not a part of the keeping of naval records. Most images are likely to be privately taken.

22 minutes ago, horatio2 said:

Again, close to impossible for VICTORY I (barracks). The other three were all sships and crew images may be out there: difficult to find and (if they exist) unlikely to mtach dates for your GGF. Dream on but be aware that the taking of photographs was not a part of the keeping of naval records. Most images are likely to be privately taken.

Thank you.  I will keep looking :)

2 hours ago, SeaHistory said:

He also has Renown, Victory I, Roxburgh, Invincible and Britannia on his record. 

If you share an image of his Statement of Service on this thread, or even a new one, then some comments upon the entries by forum pals may well provide some insight into his career history. His name and official number would be useful, too, if you are prepared to share it.