Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australians in dorset

tom compton

• 9 years later...

Hi from Australia.

Sorry this is my first post in a topic from 2008 but I have been given a photo album from someone that has no idea who took the photos. Her mother (now deceased) was in possession of it when she died.

The album is brown and small, with about 50 odd what looks to be original photos (6cm X 4cm)...some have writing on the back but most don't have anything....a few have numbers.

They look to be taken by an Australian soldier who, if they are in order, was on a boat that stopped in Egypt, then photos around Dorset and maybe a camp near Wareham.

As I say I have no idea which Battalion he belonged to....there seems to be a march from Wareham to Fovant (one photo has some ambulance wagons following).

Places and towns mentioned on the back are - Wareham, St Alban's Head, Salisbury Cathedral, Shafto Hall, Shaftsbury, Melbury Abbas, Sandford, Fovant, Wilton, Salisbury.

I have been looking into camps at Worgret Hill and Command Depot No.4....but obviously not knowing who this person is, creates a bit of a challenge.

Attached is a few photos that someone might find useful.

Cheers Dave.

Dorset.pdf

Interesting photos Dave.

It looks to be Salisbury Cathedral at the top right. 

If you are willing to post more images it might be worth posting them on a separate thread. You are probably aware that there were thousands of AIF men in the area during the war years.

Are you able to see any colour patches clearly in any of the images?

Scott

2 hours ago, D Johnson said:

G'day Scott.

I am more than happy to post a scan of each photo in the hope someone will recognise people or places....

What is the easiest way to attach each photo?...by PDF as before? I see some posts have the photo present in the post.

I can also mention in each post what is written on the back if applicable maybe?

....any suggestions for a name for the separate thread?

There are no colour patches in the photos, just black and white of various brightness, almost sepia tones in some.

Cheers

Dave (i might also update my family war history like yours, makes for interesting reading).

Dave,

How about An AIF soldier in England (photo album).

I reduce my images and attach photos as a JPEG. They show up instantly.

With the colour patches on the shoulders, the colours are not always discernible in black/white but the shape and contrast of colours can help in identifying units.

So no chance of the album belonging to a relation to the lady who owned it? I'm sure forum members may well assist if you have any other clues.

Scott

Edited by Waddell
Added more.

• Admin

The photo where they are by the cooker wagon, looks like it could be Fovant. I was there Sunday and there's a similar chalky outcrop nearby. I note that 61 is painted on the waggon. It's definitely Salisbury cathedral in the one top right. 

Michelle 

The second article to which Acknown links is a very good summary indeed - the best I've seen (and it saves me putting in my twopennyworth about the Wiltshire camps).

Which is not to decry the first article, but I don't know much about Wareham.

Moonraker

Thanks Everyone.

I have emailed the 22nd Battalion yesterday and they do have some good information on their website.

Thanks for the information Scott and no, my cousins friend has no information about who the album could belong to. She found it while sorting through her mothers belongings and none of her relatives were in any wars. (Maybe it could be a close friend of her mothers, we will never know).

I'll start a new topic and post the photos separately there....if I can get some decent scans of them in between actually doing some work today.

I'm sure there will be some memories for people amongst them.

Cheers Dave