Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major Cecil Hardwicks Orchestra

anjeanie

Can any body tell me What the regiment was called that Major Cecil Hardwick was in, I hope the information is correct. You see my Great Uncle joined the Queens reginemt and a managed to get to France to fight but became ill and the Army found out that he was younger than he said he was so while recoperating in Hospital apparently this Cecil Hardwick came round to all the patient to see if they wanted to join his orchistra so that they can entertain other partients. Although at the time my uncle could't play much he took up the Saxaphone. after a while Cecil asked my great Uncle if he would like to stay in his orchistra and arranged for a transfer to his regiment so that he could stay in the Army. They played on the boats to and from France for the rest of the war entertaining troops going to and from France. After the war my great Uncle was demobbed and went back home where he bought a house with his wife. One day there was a knock at the door and found it was Major Cecil Hardwick and he invited him to London to play music at Elstreet Studios for background music for films, but my uncle refused as he thought it was too much of a risk to loose his house. But years later he wished he had as Cecil Hardwick became famous for orchistra and later became Sir Cecil.

I hope that someone may be able to shed some light on this story that was told to my Dad by my great Uncle.

Angie .

Are you sure about Cecil? Sounds to me as if you've mixed up Cecil B De Mille with Sir Cedric Hardwicke. The latter was an old boy of my school and I have his autograph somewhere. I think. Or maybe I'm getting mixed up as well. But pretty sure that Cedric was an actor.

If it is Cedric Hardwicke:

Medal card of Hardwicke, Cedric Webster

Corps Regiment No Rank

34th Divisional Train

9th Northumberland Fusiliers

Army Service Corps Lieutenant

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

Notes from the London Gazette:

Commissioned as a Second Lieutenant (from an officer training unit) in the Army Service Corps, 27-11-1915.

Appointed as an Adjutant with an A.S.C. unit, and appointed as temporary Lieutenant, 27-11-1916 to 6-5-1917.

Steve.

If it is Cedric Hardwicke then this extract is from his obituary in 1964:

post-6536-1209598349.jpg

Steve.