Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Health effects of munitions loading

fotonix

Hello,

I wonder if anyone has any good references to the health effects upon women employed as munitions 'loaders'. It's common knowledge they went home various shades of yellow and stayed that way for a while, but is there evidence they suffered short- or long-term illnesses as a result?

Thanks,

John.

not forgetting the ones killed at work

Guest KevinEndon

I was at the Devils Poridge musuem outside Gretna at Eastriggs on Saturday where there was a noticeboard talking about the effects of the cordite lassies.

The effects at the time did turn the girls yellow but started to wear off very soon after the factory was closed down. Although no knowledge of any passing away during the war from poisoning it did state that many suffered in later life from the effects of the acids used in making cordite.

If you go on this site http://www.devilsporridge.co.uk/devils-por...hat-is-dp.shtml you will get the email address of the museum where the friendly staff will no doubt help you with your quest for knowledge.

Hope that helps a little

kevin

"On Her Their Lives Depend", by Angela Woollacott, U of California Press 1994, ISBN 0-520-08397-0 or 0-520-08502-7 discusses these affected girls, who were referred to as "canaries" because of their yellow skins. You might be able to get it from your local library through inter-library loan. Doc2

I have also come across reference whilst preparing a lecture, that the women suffered ill effects whilst making gas helmets. It was the solution that the helmets were dipped in caused some burns to the skin of the ladies arms.

Pete Starling

If we are extending the topic to beyond the effects of HE then one might want to consider the women who doped aircraft. I once met someone who as a teenager had worked doping Dh10s in 1918. The fumes were similar to that from the old car paints and caused nausea and blinding headaches.

As Centurion says, these were the days before industrial health and safety got more than the bare minimum of attention. The millions of sandbags and the miles of fuse which were made mostly in Dundee, also took their toll in industrial accidents and respiratory diseases.

According to "Women at War 1914-1918" by Arthur Marwick, there was a detailed report on the effects of TNT on women workers published in The Lancet on 12th August 1916.

Patrick

Another good book which deals partially with the effects of TNT poisoning is a book by Deborah Thom called "Nice Girls and Rude Girls" in it is achapter devoted to THT Poisoning and the employment of Women Workers in the First World War a total of 22 pages with 60 details of publications used in the complication of the chapter.

John

John,

Your posts are informative and a credit to artillerymen everywhere, including me here in the U.S.

Pete

Patrick

I've got a photocopy of the Lancet article "The Effects of Tri-Nitro-Toluene on Women Workers", by Agnes Livingston-Learmonth and Barbara Cunningham, two women medical officers working in munitions factories.

It 's quite interesting, lists the side effects under 'Irritative' (respiratory, alimentary, skin problems) and 'Toxic' (digestive, circulatory, cerebral and 'special'). It suggests treatment - prophylactic and symptomatic, and then discusses three cases of varying severity. If you want a copy I can try scanning the four pages but the original was not in a great state. Email me if you do and I'll try.

Jennian

The effects of TNT have led to an aspect of healthcare today. The effects of TNT led to dizziness and headaches (caused by the nitrate, which caused vasodilation). This aspect, has now resulted in the use of nitrate sprays and tablets, in the treatment of angina / coronary heart disease. So thus the suffering of these hard working women, has had an impact on our lives today.