Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Google earth and Linesman maps

Len Trim

Stupid question I know but if you take the lat. and long. of a well known feature such as Lochnagar Crater using Google Earth and then go to the appropriate Linesman map and move the pointer around until it reads the same lat. and long. will you be at the same point? I only ask because the crater appears to have moved? So obviously i am doing something stupid.

Len

Len,

The coordinates taken by latitude and longitude should give the same reference anywhere, it is a universal system. There could be something wrong with a calculation.

Regards Charles

I have done a quick comparison between Memory Map trench Map 28NW4 Ypres (Menin Gate) and Google Earth position Lat and Long no difference.

Joihn

After rechecking my work I agree that the coordinates match. Just shows never to rush a job and do things properly :blush:

Len

After rechecking my work I agree that the coordinates match. Just shows never to rush a job and do things properly :blush:

Len

Len,

The only confusion you may encounter with Longitude and Lattitude, is with anything French!

The French don't recognise Greenwich, as being the centre of the earth, and often quote their co ordinates with Paris being the origin. Same system though, just different numbers.

Guy