Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Cemeteries

Guest DaveN

Dear All,

Please forgive me if I make any glaring errors as this is my first posting.

I have several pictures of German soldiers who died in WW1 and I try to visit their graves when ever we are in France.

My Question is....

Is there any maps that show the German cemetery's locations? I can find the larger ones, Fricourt, Cambrai etc but the smaller ones have proved difficult such as Fournes-en-Wppes or Haubourdin.

I have searched the Volksbundes web site, which does not give any location details, just the area. I have also searched this forum, just incase!

I have in mind something like the CWGC overlayed maps No.51-53 or any books "guide" books to German cemeteries.

Thanks for looking

Regards to all

Dave

Go again to the "Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgraeberfuersorge" web-site.

Click on "Kriegsgraeberstaetten" then choose which "Land" or Country you want, say "Belgien" or "Frankreich" and you will find access to a fairly comprehensive list.

A good knowledge of German will help. Good luck!

I have many photos of German cemeteries in both France and Belgium, if you would like any, click on the email button and I will send you them.

I have visited most of the German (WW1) ones in both countries and would be happy to give you directions to any that don't appear on the maps.

Hope this helps

I have found the following usefull:

Grive-Santini, C. GUIDE DES CIMITIÈRES MILITAIRES EN FRANCE. 1999, 212 pages, 22x12 cm., le cherche midi éditeur.

Naturally regarding the scope and its size the information is limited, but with a good Michelin map enough info to find them.

Regards,

Marco

Try to get hold of "Am Rande der Strassen" from the Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgraberfursorge. These are atlasses of all the cemeteries in their care. The volume covering the whole of the 1914-18 Western Front (Nieupoort to Switzerland ,along with WW2 and 1870-71) is the "Frankreich,Belgien,Luxemburg und Niederland" edition. This consists of an overlaid Michelin Map, similar to the CWGC one, but also shows other nationalities cemeteries.

These are (were!) issued free to those interested , but I'd reccommend (beg!) that you give a decent donation to the VDKF for this - they've been extremely good to me in the past!

I have the atlasses covering the whole of western Europe (plus the basic one covering the world - except the Eastern Front!!!), if anyone needs anywhere looking up.

Dave.

Dave, thanx for your offer! Would you please look up for any German war grave site in/near town of Orsova (Danube), Romania. Any listing?

Egbert I have seen CWGC, AH & Romanian cemeteries there. We think of AH Army as polyglot, well in 1 Romanian of about 45 graves I could identify names that were Magyar, Romanian, Slavic, German, Ukranian & Jewish if I remember correctly. What a beautiful country!

Dave, thanx for your offer! Would you please look up for any German war grave site in/near town of Orsova (Danube), Romania. Any listing?

Hi Egbert.

The "World" atlas just covers "Western" Europe (the KgV is still working on the "Eastern" Europe parts). Unfortunately, Romania isn't listed in any of my editions (but on the European general map, it states that there are 53,075 (German)WW1 war graves and 38,106 (German, incl.Austria)WW2 wargraves in Rumania).

Just as a breakdown, the areas covered in my 3 atlasses are:

Norway, .... Chile....

Finland .... Jamaica....

Sweden .... Panama....

Denmark .... Peru....

Great Britain .... Trinidad-Tobago....

Ireland .... Uruguay....

Iceland .... Afghanistan....

France and the Benelux .... China....

Western Germany .... India....

Switzerland .... Indonesia....

Austria ....Iraq....

Malta .... Iran....

Portugal .... Israel....

Spain .... Japan....

Italy .... Jordan....

Greece .... Lebanon....

Turkey .... Malaysia....

Algeria .... Saudi-Arabia....

Egypt .... Sri-Lanka....

Libya .... Vietnam....

Tunisia .... Syria....

Marocco .... Cyprus....

Ethiopia .... Kerguelen....

Angola Australia....

Benin

Burundi

Ghana

Cameroon

Kenya

Congo

Madagascar

Malawi

Mosambique

Namibia

Nigeria

Ruanda

Zambia

Senegal

Sierra Leone

Zimbabwe

South Africa

Tanzania

Togo

Zaire

Canada

USA

Argentina

Barbados

Dave.

An example map section from the France and Benelux edition....

(As you can see , other nation's cemeteries are also included. Corresponding to the number, there is the cemetery's details (name, number interred, numbers from each world war, directions and, quite often a (very)short description of the cemetery's history).

Dave.

post-19-1076636174.jpg

Be careful with the Michelin maps.

Most show the cemeteries marked, Fr, Br or All, but some show just the cemeteries without specifiyng what they are. Look before you buy.

Why there is the difference I don't know. It doesn't seem to have anything much to do with scale or anything else obvious. It may have been just one series, but do look.

Be careful with the Michelin maps.

Most show the cemeteries marked, Fr, Br or All, but some show just the cemeteries without specifiyng what they are.

For an example of this , take a look at the "German" Michelin map that I've posted above. The British cemeteries are denoted by an orange spot, but if you look , you can see that the "cross in a rectangle" under these spots aren't always marked "Brit.". If this wasn't a cemetery overlaid map (hence no coloured spots), there wouldn't be any way of telling whether it was a military cemetery or not, never mind what nationality. Occasionally you can also find a cemetery that isn't marked at all on the map (but is denoted on the "cemetery overlay" maps)

Dave.

Many Thanks

Thanks to everybody who tried to answer my question on German cemetery locations. It's the smaller cemeteries I have the most trouble finding.

I shall try all the suggested ideas

Thanks again

DaveN

Many Thanks

Thanks to everybody who tried to answer my question on German cemetery locations. It's the smaller cemeteries I have the most trouble finding.

I shall try all the suggested ideas

Thanks again

DaveN

DaveN.

Give me a list of the smaller German cemeteries that you're struggling to find, and I'll let you have the details and locations.

Dave.

The "World" atlas just covers "Western" Europe (the KgV is still working on the "Eastern" Europe parts). Unfortunately, Romania isn't listed in any of my editions (but on the European general map, it states that there are 53,075 (German)WW1 war graves and 38,106 (German, incl.Austria)WW2 wargraves in Rumania).

Just as a breakdown, the areas covered in my 3 atlasses are:

Australia....

Dave.

Dave

Out of interest does it mention in your atlas where in Australia the German servicemen were buried?

I'd imagine those who are buried here died when they Prisoners of War in WW2?

Regards

Andrew

Andrew

The WW1/WW2 German burials in Australia are at...

Liverpool New Cemetery, NSW (interned civilians)

Queanbeyan (Riverside) Cemetery, NSW (interned civilian)

Rookwood Necropolis, Sydney (interned civilians)

Tatura German Military Cemetery, Victoria (interned civilians & WW2 military)

CWGC care for the German graves in Australia but there are no WW1 military examples recorded.

Out of interest does it mention in your atlas where in Australia the German servicemen were buried?

I'd imagine those who are buried here died when they Prisoners of War in WW2?

Andrew.

The KgV listing for Australia mentions 1 from WW1 in the cemetery at Bourke,

1 from WW1 at Burrumbuttock,

1 from WW2 at Hay,

1 from WW1 at Kokopo,

1 from WW1 and 1 from WW2 at Rockwood,

3 from WW1 at Trial Bay (Detention Barracks Cemetery),

2 from WW2 at Tanunda-South (St.John's Cemetery)

and 191 from WW1 and 60 from WW2 at the German Cemetery at Tatura.

This makes a total of 198 WW1 burials and 64 WW2 burials.

Dave.

Tatura...

post-19-1076810278.jpg

Thanks for that Terry & Dave. I'll have to visit Tatura next time I'm in Victoria. I was curious as to whether there were any buried in Western Australia as there was a German/Italian WW2 prison camp in the south west of this state, though I guess if any did die here they might have been moved to Tatura.

Regards

Andrew

As CWGC record no WW1 German military burials in Australia, these must be under direct German care or some other authority.

I have contacted CWGC to ascertain who cares for them (or have they been omitted from the CWGC list in error! - it does happen).

CWGC have confirmed that they only look after those German casualties in the locations I listed above. Any others are taken care of by agreement between VdK and the local authorities.