Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Margaret Duncan

Guest jacqui54

Guest jacqui54

My name is Jacqui and I live in Perth Western Australia and I am researching my Scottish heritage. Margaret Duncan was my great aunt and she was in the W.R.A.F service number 2756. I have some photos of her in uniform and also at different bases, Scotland, Germany and France. I beleive that she suffered effects of some sort of gas whilst in Germeny and was sent home to Scotland where she died in 1922. She is buried in Sleepyhillock Cemetary , Montrose. I would love to hear from anybody who may have some more information on these girls who served in the W.R.A.F as I can't find anything out.

thank you

Jacqui

Are you saying that your Great Aunt died due to the effects of gas poisoning during the war? If that is true and you have documentary or medical evidence of this fact then you should contact the Commonwealth War Graves Commission to ascertain if she qualifies to be officially recognised as a War Casualty. Whilst the official cut off date, I understand is 1921, I am sure that there are exceptions if one dies as a result of war injuries after that date.

Tony

Hi Jacqui

Is your Margaret Duncan the daughter of Archibald Duncan & Margaret Baird? If so, she died from pulmonary tuberculosis/influenza on 3 March 1922. I looked it up on scotlandspeople website.

Christina

Jacqui

Margaret Duncan's service record is available to download from the National Archives via Documents Online at a cost of £3.50 - all WRAF airwomen's records are on there now. Follow the link below to search - look for 'Airwomen's Records' and just enter the name.

TNA Documents Online

Sue