Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

In From The Cold - 25.04.08

Terry Denham

CWGC added the following 'new' WW1 casualty to its Debt of Honour database today – Friday 25th April

Pte Thomas TYSON

SE/22394 Army Veterinary Corps

Died 17.05.18 Age 36

Buried: Satterthwaite (All Saints) Churchyard, Lancs, UK

NOT FORGOTTEN

The above casualty was put forward by GWF on 04.03.08 on behalf of member, Northern Soul. He will fill in the details.

The grave has a private memorial which CWGC is arranging to have cleaned.

MAY HE REST IN PEACE

Thomas Tyson died at a sanatorium from T.B. contracted during his service with the R.A.V.C. - he served with No.6 R.V.D. but I have not been able to establish what this means although Veterinary Depot would appear logical for the last two letters. He had been discharged from the Army at the time of his death and was a pensioner. I was fortunate to be able to access his Pension Records in support of the submission of his name through Terry, although his DC confirmed his military details and Army-Pensioner status.

I see from the CWGC database that his wife is recorded as his next of kin. Sadly, she only outlived him by a few months, dying herself from T.B. in early 1919.

Strictly speaking, he is not buried in Satterthwaite (All Saints) Churchyard - he is buried in Satterthwaite Burial Ground - and a devil of a place it is to find as well, being unsignposted, along a glorified cart track, up on top of a hill, well outside the village. However he does have a fairly ornate headstone although it is covered in moss (I see that the CWGC are arranging to have it cleaned).

I think an acknowledgement of Terry's help and input is appropriate here. Since Christmas, I have passed the details of four men to him whom I considered suitable candidates for commemoration and all four have been accepted in very quick time (the other three will be notified here in due course after some necessary admin' work by the CWGC). Terry has been helpfulness itself in this process and in one instance he has made independant enquiries at his own expense in support of one of the submissions. Respect. :D

Best wishes.

Andy.

Andy

Even though the burial site is not physically connected to the main churchyard, the local vicar confirms that it is still correctly named as CWGC show. The church does not differentiate between their two plots of burial ground.

However, I will ask if a note can be added to point out to visitors the two separate burial sites.

Andy

Even though the burial site is not physically connected to the main churchyard, the local vicar confirms that it is still correctly named as CWGC show. The church does not differentiate between their two plots of burial ground.

However, I will ask if a note can be added to point out to visitors the two separate burial sites.

Ah, you learn something every day. I would take issue over the designation of the county as Lancashire though..........Satterthwaite has been well and truly in Cumbria since the early '70's (although it was in Lancashire before the boundary change).

Thanks again.

Andy.

Ah, you learn something every day. I would take issue over the designation of the county as Lancashire though..........Satterthwaite has been well and truly in Cumbria since the early '70's (although it was in Lancashire before the boundary change).

Thanks again.

Andy.

Andy, all WW1 burials in the UK still use the then County Location-hence you still see Westmoreland on some locations

CWGC still use the county names/boundaries as they stood in 1960/61 (the time of publication of their WW2 registers and still largely the same as in WW1).

There was some talk of adding the new counties as well as the traditional ones a while ago but it has not yet progressed. Their UK admin is based on these counties and so perhaps that is why they have not been changed.