Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Somme

Sgt York

Make a note of the following programme to be shown on BBC 4.

THE SOMME

Sunday 10 November 2002 8.30pm-9.40pm; rpt Monday 11 November 9pm-10.10pm

The Somme is a 70-minute film made out of two episodes from BBC Two's 1964 series The Great War and features interviews with survivors and archive footage.

This whole series is available as a boxed set in DVD format. I've already started dropping hints to my family that it would make an ideal birthday present - ever hoping.

It's an absolute cracker - comes with some bonus DVDs including archive film of British troops / instructors training US troops for the Front.

Simon

Yes, certainly agree that the DVD set is excellent. It has the bonus DVD that VHS plebs don't get ! Also, join the Friends of the Imp. War Museum and you can get 20% off the set at the IWM shop (assuming they have it in stock , of course) Therefore, you can buy it for the price of the tapes. Good way to get a discount off those other expensive CD Roms as well.

Now we've got a repeat of The Great War, the next old tv programme we should ask to be aired is the one made for showing on the 60th anniversary of the opening of the Battle of the Somme with late Leo

McKern in top form as the front man striding the trenches in Newfoundland Park in his duffle-coat. It was repeated in 1986, but I have never seen it since.

Is this the same thing I got from DD Video and had to convert to US format? I also did that with Dying In Verdun which wa about ruined by conversion and Forgotten Men which did well.

Now we've got a repeat of The Great War, the next old tv programme we should ask to be aired is the one made for showing on the 60th anniversary of the opening of the Battle of the Somme with late Leo

McKern in top form as the front man striding the trenches in Newfoundland Park in his duffle-coat. It was repeated in 1986, but I have never seen it since.

Funny you should mention that. You are right it has only been shown twice; 1976 and 1986.

A friend of mine in the BBC tried to get them to show it again last year, but it didn't fit in with the schedule at that time - however, it is on the cards to be shown again, but when I don't know.

Whatever, it's a classic programme - and we shouldn't forget it was written and produced by Malcolm Brown.