Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sidney Evans Died Kenya 28/11/1918 RMLI?

NeilEvans

This is all i have.

Sidney Evans born 1890 to William and Sarah Evans of Bourton Shrops.

Brother PLY/434/S Georges Evans RMLI Kia 01/01/1916 Gallipoli.

Brother PLY/432/S Charles Evans RMLI Survived.

Sidney died 28/11/1918 aged 28, after the war, but in Kenya!?

Now in 1932 his brother Ernest died also in Kenya!!!!! aged 46

Both Sidney and George are remembered on the local memorial.

What units of the Army or Navy were stationed in Kenya at this time?

This is all i have.

Sidney Evans born 1890 to William and Sarah Evans of Bourton Shrops.

Brother PLY/434/S Georges Evans RMLI Kia 01/01/1916 Gallipoli.

Brother PLY/432/S Charles Evans RMLI Survived.

Sidney died 28/11/1918 aged 28, after the war, but in Kenya!?

Now in 1932 his brother Ernest died also in Kenya!!!!! aged 46

Both Sidney and George are remembered on the local memorial.

What units of the Army or Navy were stationed in Kenya at this time?

The war didn't end in East Africa till some time after the Nov. 11 Armistice in the west if I remember Edward Paice's "Tip and run: the Great War in Africa 1914-1918" correctly. (Cassell, 2006).

Meanwhile if you go to http://www.copac.ac.uk/wzgw and do a title search under Great War East Africa a list of printed sources will come up. (sorry I can't offer more - I'm a librarian not an expert ...)

Hi SeaJane

thank you for your help, you're right, the war in east africa raged on after the armistice, error on my part :blush:

Neil

Neil

Which local civic war memorial are their names on? Are you saying you have traced his death to Africa or do you suspect this to be the case? The question mark indicates you're not sure. Also, finally I take it you have already searched the UK GRO without finding him?

The fact they are both Marines lends credence to the fact they may have served on a ship. I believe the Royal Navy had a permanent presence in East Africa during the Great War.

Neil

If he served in Kenya (British East Africa) as a Royal Marine then it could have been as a gun number on a land-based gun crew or as a member of a Royal Navy ship's detachment.

Ships' detachments were deployed ashore when required, as in the capture of Bagamoyo, German East Africa.

Harry

• 7 months later...

Neil, took a while, the Evans family headstone records his death in Kenya.

Does anbody have a GRO overseas ref: for Sidney Evans died Novemer 1918?

Neil

• 10 years later...

By way of a postscript ...

I happened upon this thread recently and have joined the forum this morning to fill in some of the gaps above. My grandfather was Charles Evans (PLY/432/S RMLI) who enlisted with his brother, George, in October 1914. He served throughout the War in the RND and I gauge there would not have been many Marines around him at the end who had first landed with him at Kum Kale in March, 1916.

The Evans family were a large one and farmed in the lee of Wenlock Edge as well as having several farms in East Africa at the time, hence the Kenya connection above. The family's war service was recognised by the Crown (see attachment).

Sid Evans is remembered locally as indicated; both in Much Wenlock and at his home parish in Bourton. His recorded corps in 1915 was 'Bowker's Horse', an irregular troop which was soon absorbed with others into the East African Mounted Rifles (EAMR). There are two family stories to the circumstances of his death: killed in a remote ambush or died of Blackwater Fever. Either way, I've never been able to locate him through CWGC but given the location and nature of his service I can somewhat understand the 'possible non-commemoration'.

Another brother highlighted, Ernest, served in the Veterinary Corps during the War and died a farmer in 1932 in Kenya.

Thank you for the interest the members have shown in my family.

Bridgnorth Journal 9th October 2015.pdf

Just had a quick look online... There's a medal index card on Ancestry for Sidney Evans which says he served with the East African Mounted Rifles reg no 128, then transfered to East African Veterinary Corps reg no 5083, then discharged as medically unfit. Find My Past have a register of deaths entry which (assuming it's the same man) says he died at Nakuru on 28 December 1918, age not specified and unfortunately the cause of death column is blank.

Hello Paul, Nakuru was/is  a location of one of the Evans' farms. So it appears to ring true that he died of disease after all. Thanks for the research. 

John

• 1 year later...