Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Iolaire Disaster

KAYJAY

Pronunciation almost correct. It's a bit hard to set down in text but 'yullar' is close. My family is from Lewis and we lost 7 family members on this disaster.

• 10 months later...

The loss of the Iolaire features in the current episode (03/07/11) of the BBC's Coast Series (episode 4 Series 6 Western Isles and Shetland Click) It's available on iPlayer until 9:59PM Sun, 24 Jul 2011. This link goes directly to the relevant part of the programme Click

NigelS

An extremely tragic tale. Even before this disaster the Islands had suffered very heavy losses of men.

I thought "Coast" treated what is still obviously a delicate subject very well. Contains an iterview, recorded a few years ago, with the man that managed to get to shore with the rope and hence saved about 40 people.

A picture taken the following morning shows just how close the vessel was to the shore. Apparently many were killed due to being smashed against the rocks rather than drowing.

Evan

Pronunciation almost correct. It's a bit hard to set down in text but 'yullar' is close. My family is from Lewis and we lost 7 family members on this disaster.

It depends a bit on where your Gaelic comes from. In Uist, it would be pronounced closer to 'eeyuluh'. Antony

I also thought 'Coast' dealt with the subject very sensitively : The episode is on BBC I player

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b012f9yj/Coast_Series_6_Western_Isles_and_Shetland/

And the feature on this disaster begins some 45 minutes in.

An extremely tragic tale. Even before this disaster the Islands had suffered very heavy losses of men.

I thought "Coast" treated what is still obviously a delicate subject very well. Contains an iterview, recorded a few years ago, with the man that managed to get to shore with the rope and hence saved about 40 people.

A picture taken the following morning shows just how close the vessel was to the shore. Apparently many were killed due to being smashed against the rocks rather than drowing.

Evan

• 4 weeks later...

For those interested in this subject here are Cdr Mason's medals, he qualified for a trio but it was not issued and I believe the plaque is out there but I do not own that. He was an RNR officer

post-26358-0-30723500-1311841971.jpg

• 2 years later...