Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with a woman doctor's badges

Jennyford

I've just been sent a picture of the set of badges, buttons etc belonging to an Australian woman doctor who came over to work at Endell Street Military Hospital. It shows the RAMC lapel badges and buttons, and four pips (she was graded for pay as a Lieutenant). This is interesting, because women doctors weren't allowed to wear anything denoting rank. However in her diaries in Melbourne there is an indignant entry "'Also no pips on uniforms. We had them and were asked to remove them."

What I would like help about is the two horizontal name badges at the back. Are those peculiar to Endell Street, or did all hospitals have them? If so, where were they worn?

Any suggestions grateful.

Jennian

post-15932-1208935085.jpg

post-15932-1208935098.jpg

Jennian

I'm not sure where those particular badges were worn - but I think that quite a few hospitals had shoulder titles and other badges specially made, particularly privately run ones (hospitals, not badges!). I suspect they were to add unique identification to otherwise plain uniforms, and added a personal touch, particularly in large cities. The following thread shows a similar sort of shoulder title worn by a nurse.

Sue

I had assumed they couldn't be shoulder titles because they weren't curved, but following the link you sent I've now found loads of straight ones, looking very similar. Thanks so much for the help.

Jennian