Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Geoffrey Watkins Smith - 13th Rifle Brigade, kia 10/7/16

stiletto_33853

** Rifle Brigade, B.E.F.

Dec. 31, 1915.

Dear Mother,

The men in my company were unanimous in praise of the Christmas arrangements, and all enjoyed themselves very much. We managed to give them an excellent dinner by borrowing an oven from some nice French people in a farm here, and the roast beef and plum puddings were well cooked. Then we supplemented the food with apples, oranges, figs, and nuts, biscuits, and preserved fruit from the canteen, and some French cakes and some barrels of French beer. Each platoon got up a concert on its barn, and everybody had to sing a song or do a recitation. The whole thing was very jolly.

.......I have had two very nice letters from American friends lately, including Dr. Paton, whom I met out at Naples. They are all unanimously on our side and feel verry sorry that America cannot do more to help us.

...I am very busy now, since I have definetely got command of D Company, Major Cunliffe being second in command of the battalion. All is going on well.

Love to all from

Geoff.

B.E.F.

Jan. 8, 1916.

Dear Mother,

Our tour of the trenches was made rather interesting this time by a German deserter coming into our trenches one afternoon. He came into one of my trenches, so I had to examine him before sending him to Head-quarters. One of our sentries spotted him about 400 yards away, and was just going t shoot him when he waved a handkerchief and shouted Kamerad, so we got him in safely. He had no arms with him, and was rather excited and slightly drunk; he had had nothing to eat for the whole day, only a flask of schnapps, which had rather upset him. When I examined him (in German, as he knew no English) he said that he was a Pole named Kinevsky, and had been in the German army for four years. He said that he hated the Germans and he spat (I am sorry to say) when he mentioned the name of Kaiser Wilhelm. He had apparently been put under arrest for telling his officer that he ate too much, and he had decided to make his escape. He gave us a lot of useful information about the enemy, their patrols, what roads they use and so forth. He was so excited and shouted so loud that I had to tell him rather sharply to be silent, where-upon, seeing that I was rather annoyed, he went down on his knees and begged me not to shoot him, a ridiculous spectacle which made us laugh a good bit.

We have been constructing a wonderful underground tunnel behind our trench in case of bombardment. I have put some Welsh miners in the company on to it and they thoroughly enjoy it, making a regular mining gallery, which I think will be a great success.

I have altered the verses in accordance with criticism which father and Nowell made, and with which I quite agree, but it is difficult to replace padding with anything which is not.

The weather has greatly improved now, and with it the conditions in the trenches.

Love to all from

Geoff.

Could have been very amusing to be a spectator watching the exchange.

Andy

** Rifle Brigade, B.E.F.

Jan. 12, 1916.

Dear Mother,

Can you send me out the pair of brown boots I left behind? It is a light pair without nails in. I am going back for a month to 3rd Army Head-quarters to go through a course of lectures and practical work. I believe it is very good, as the lecturers are mostly people who have been through the attacks at Loss, &c. The idea is to send as many officers as possible back, and that they should hand on the information to their unis. It will be a good change for me, not that I need one particularly......

Love to all from

Geoff.

** Rifle Brigade,

Army Infantry School of Instruction,

B.E.F.

Jan. 16, 1916.

Dear Mother,

I am enjoying this course tremendously; it is simply excellent. The chief figure here is the Commandant, Colonel Kentish, who is a tremendous character, and combines great strictness and punctilious discipline with the most liberal outlook on all affairs. His lectures are excellent, and he is the life and soul of the place, though the other instructors are very good as well.

There is an officer from Hugh's battalion here, and I have discovered from him where Hugh is, only ten miles away, so I have written to Hugh to see if he can come over here, or if we can meet in Amiens......

We are kept very busy, from 8.45 am to 7 pm, lectures and field work, but it is really a great rest, as the change from trench life is so lleasant.

Love to all from

Geoff.

** Rifle Brigade, B.E.F.

Feb. 3, 1916.

Dear Mother,

After Feb. 8th will you address letters and my papers (The Times and Spectator) to me at the old address as above, as I shall have left the school? We are continuing to have a very good time here, and extremely useful. The course ios very well run, and I have learnt a lot of new things, especially in field engineering, which will be very useful....

I am sorry to say that we have lost Captain Lezard, killed by a shell, while in an artillery observation post; otherwise the battalion has not been having a bad time lately.

I suppose I shall be getting my second leave in about a month's time or rather less, though perhaps they may count this course as being in the nature of a holiday. As a matter of fact we work rather harder here than anywhere else, but of course there is no particular strain on one.

I have just got a letter from the Marquis of Winchester about a cup which some of us gave him when he left the battalion; he is at Rouen at the Infantry Base Depot, and would like to return to us, but of course he realizes he is too old for this sort of game......

Love to all from

Geoff.

** Rifle Brigade, B.E.F.

Feb. 17, 1916.

Dear Mother,

I have been back with the battalion some days now and have had a short time in the trenches with them, in a new part of the line. It is a very bleak spot on the top of a great moor, only a lot of the ground is cultivated, or rather was. There has been a tremendous NW wind blowing, with a ,ot of rain and some sleet. We are in a very healthy spot if you don't mind rough weather. We are now back in reserve in a very jolly village, with the best billets we have had so far, very friendly French people. There is nothing much doing on our immediate front at present, in fact we are very quiet. The men are in very good health on the whole, and in good spirits.......

I shall not get my leave for another month, as they will not let more than one company commander go at a time....

Love to all from

Geoff.

** Rifle Brigade, B.E.F.

Feb. 26, 1916.

Dear Mother,

We are back in billets for a few days after a very snowy time in the trenches. As a matter of fact we suffered very little from the snow and frost and had actually fewer cases of sickness then ever, and no frost-bite. The grease which is issued for the men's feet is very good stuff, and I always use it myself. To-day the men in the company had a tremendous snowball fight and were in great spirits. The sergeants and every one joined in, and they were a very happy crowd. I am sorry to say that all leave has been stopped for the present, owing I suppose to the big German attacks down south, and to the fact that they are evidently trying on an offensive game just now. However, I dare say leave will begin again when things have settled down a bit. We had rather a lively time the other day, owing to fragments of shell from our anti-aircraft guns falling into our trenches rather thickly. Bits fell all round and into the trenches, but no-one was hit.

We like the village we are in now very much, as the inhabitants are very friendly, and it is a very pretty place on the slope of a hill. There are a good many French soldiers here too, and they are very friendly with our men. Also a charming old Cure who is writing a dictionary of the Patois and has made great friends with Mr. Siordet, who speaks French very well......

Love to all from

Geoff.

According to the war diary, the village they liked very much is Bailleulmont.

Andy

** Rifle Brigade, B.E.F.

Mar. 9, 1916.

Dear Mother,

I have received the parcel containing tongue, sausages, and sardines, which are very welcome. Owing to snow and bad weather we only spend short spells in the trenches, so that we don't do much cooking, only cocoa and cold food, while we are in. It is rather wearisome working by these short reliefs, as it means perpetual tramping to and fro in the slush, and it seems to make the time drag out rather slowly. The last time in my men worked heroically at clearing the trenches of water and mud, and were specially complimented by the Colonel and the Brigadier.......I have been giving some lectures to the officers on the course I did at ****, and this afternoon I have got a class of N.C.O.'s doing wiring.

There have been a good many changes here owing to sickness and some casualties; actually at the moment, Major Cunliffe is in command of the battalion and I am senior captain, but some of the others ought to be back soon. This severe weather, if you can stand it, is all right, but people with weak chests or a tendency to rheumatism get crocked up very quickly. We have encountered some difficulties here in getting our food &c., up, owing to bad roads, and I have sometimes been rather anxious as to the arrival of the men's food, but so far everything has gone off all right.......

Love to all from

Geoff.

Photograph taken at Ivy Banks by Miss L. Parker, Summer 1915.

post-1871-1211885187.jpg

** Rifle Brigade, B.E.F.

March 24, 1916.

Dear Mother,

We have moved back now and are in a very peaceful part of the country; a pretty little village by a big stream, where the men get plenty of football and can wash themselves and their clothes in the stream; also hot shower baths fitted up in a mill. I am in very comfortable quarters with a bedroom to myself and a good mess-room. We are moving again to-morrow, and will be attached for some time to the scholl I was at before, to help with the work of the school, i.e. doing attacks, &c., for the instruction of the officers at the school. I shall see Colonel Kentish again there and all the people at the school, which will be jolly. Altogether it is rather a nice prospect for the battalion as we shall get very good training, and also have a good long rest I hope from the trenches.

We have really had very great luck as a battalion so far; no sooner do we leave a village or a line of trenches than the Boches begin to shell it like fury or make a raid; there have been several cases lately. I hope to get my leave some time not very far off; it is starting again, but is continually being held up.....

I have had a good bit of riding lately, and have got hold of quite a nice pony, which does not shy at lorries and other abominations like my other one. Also I played a game of football the other day with the men, and am extremely stiff in consequence.....

With love from

Geoff.

** Rifle Brigade, B.E.F.

April 4, 1916.

Dear Mother,

We are settled down in this little town and are quite in the centre of civilization.......The school has not yet begun; in fact it begins tomorrow, but we have been pretty busy getting everything ready and practising for the demonstrations we have to give. The country is quite pretty round here, and there is a trout stream running through the town, and some of the officers have started fishing. I get a good deal of riding and plenty of alking about, so one ought to keep fit.

I do not think I shall get away on leave for another week, as I am in chrage of a demonstration attack for the school, which I shall probably have to see started.

I am glad I did not go before, as the rough weather has rather spoilt people's leave lately.

I saw Father's sonnet in The Times the other day; Mr. Siordet, who is a bit of a literary critic, said he thought it was very perfect in technique.

Your mention of the Pentecost of Calamity is rather curious, as an American friend of mine, Dr. Paton, sent it to me the other day, and I have just read it.....

With love to all from

Geoff.

The 13th were based in Auxi-Le-Chateau for this period whilst at the school.

Andy

** Rifle Brigade, B.E.F.

April 18, 1916.

Dear Mother,

I managed to get a wire bunk on the boat, and despite the rough crossing, slept well and was not ill. We had a tremendous slow railway journey, lasting from six in the morning till six the following morning, but at the end we got to a nice little viallge, where we got a good breakfast and then came on in motor lorry. The unfortunate party who went on leave after us got as far as Havre and then were turned back, and since then nobody has been allowed to go. I believe it is only a temporary stoppage.

I found a lot of people here suffering from bad colds, and soon we are all going to be innoculated agin against typhoid, so we shall be rather a lame lot for a bit. The men have been very busy making beds and tables and straw mattresses for themsleves, so that their billets are getting quite comfortable.

I am feeling much fresher and more energetic after my leave, which did me a lot of good. One gets rather stale out here with the monotony of existence, and a complete change of scene and company acts as a wonderful tonic, especially when one has such a jolly time as I had.

Love to all from

Geoff.

** Rifle Brigade, B.E.F.

April 27, 1916.

Dear Mother,

.....I enclose a photograph of my servant, Robinson, which please keep. It gives rather a good idea of a soldier in winter clothing. We have had some good ones taken of the officers and N.C.O.'s, copies of which I will send when I get them.

We have just had two days of battalion sports before we move off from here; beautiful warm afternoons, too hot if anything. The company did very well and carried off several events.

We shall be sorry to leave this place, as we have had a very good time here, and the men have, I think, enjoyed themselves very much. We are moving up by slow stages towards our old positions, I believe.

I have been inoculated again for typhoid, and had very little discomfort this time. The men have all been done too...

Love to all from

Geoff.

** Rifle Brigade, B.E.F.

May 2, 1916.

Dear Mother,

We are back in our old haunts now, about a mile behind the line, and will be going up to take over the trenches again in a day or so. Things are fairly lively now, especially the artillery. The battalion which has just come out of the line did a very successful raid the other day in broad daylight, got into the German trenches and did a lot of damage and got away again without any damage to themselves. We are rather on alert as we think it possible the Germans may try to repay the visit.

All the movements of troops are very mysterious at present: we march about with secret orders which are continually being countermanded by dispatch riders. I was sent off the other day with my company to go on detachment to help build a railway; and after everything was all arranged and I had sent on an advanced party to take over the billets in the village we were to go to, a cyclist overtook us on the line of march with orders for us to go somewhere quite different. What it all portends we do not know.

I am glad to see the Irish row is being put in order to some extent; I suppose it is in the nature of things that while all the world is fighting, the Sinn Feiners should want a show of their own. However, I gather they are getting rather more than they bargained for.

I am reading Catriona and Boswell's Life of Johnson when I get any time. If you can send out any more books for the men, novels chiefly, we should be glad of any as we shall be settled here now for some time.

I should like a small copy of Martin Chuzzlewit or any Dickens, and I expect they would be liked by the men too.

Love to all from

Geoff.

** Rifle Brigade, B.E.F.

May 13, 1916.

Dear D.,

We are back in billets after a week or so in the trenches. We had lovely weather and no trouble, and put in a lot of good work getting the trenches into order and fairly and fairly inhabitable after the winter. It gets light now at 3 o'clock in the morning, so that we have to be up before, and we see some beautiful sunrises. I get some sleep between 11 or 12 at night and 2.30 am, and again from 4 to 8.30, when I have breakfast. The most coveted sleep is between 4 and 8.30 in the morning.

The village we are billeted in in very pretty, with fruit trees in blossom and some flowers in the gardens. The old lady who keeps the farm we are in supplies us with milk and butter and eggs, occasionally leeks, and to-morrow (Sunday) with four pigeons.

The men are very strong and well after their long rest back at the Army School.

I got your parcel containing Martin Chuzzlewit and sweets. The toffee was particularly good and much sought after....... I am glad to see the news from England is a bit better; it was rather depressing for a bit.

Love to all from

Geoff.

** Rifle Brigade, B.E.F.

June 6, 1916.

Dear Mother,

We are out again in what is called rest, though it does not amount to much just now. There has been quite a lot going on in our neighbourhood, which I am afraid I am not allowed to explain, but it has been quite interesting and, on the whole, successful. I have not had much sleep lately, so I am going to turn in this afternoon.

We have actually got a cinematograph fitted up in this village, which will be very jolly for us.

The books arrived and are a splendid selection; the complete set of Dickens is an especial source of joy to everybody.....

The first news of the naval battle was rather dismal, but now we have heard more about it, it seems fairly satisfactory, except the loss of men, which is very heavy.

I enclose a photograph of Mr. Leggatt and Mr. Rowlatt, which I should like kep. One is apt to lose things out here.

My men are having hot baths this afternoon, and some are making wire beds for themselves.

To-morrow we are shooting on the range, which is always interesting.

Love to all from

Geoff.

Rest period for the battalion this time was Bailleulval.

Andy

** Rifle Brigade.

June 10, 1916.

Dear Father,

I am afraid that it is an age since I wrote to you, and I have been rather bad about writing at all lately, ut owing to endless little worrying little things to attend to, I find the mood for writing not very frequent.

I went in a motor ambulance car to a town near and had a tooth stopped by a very nice Irish R.A.M.C. doctor, the other day; it was rather a rlief to get it done, as toothache in the trenches does not add to the joys of existence. We have had some very heavy thundertorms, which have made rather a mess of things, but it is extraordinary how quick the pools dry up.

I was very much pleased with Balfour's speech about the naval battle; I think the result of publishing our losses before anything else has ultimately had a good effect, as everybody knows we are speaking the truth, whereas the Germans admit they didn't.

There has been a good bit of dust flying about here lately, but we have, on the whole, been very lucky. Everybody is in very good spirits, and we expect fairly big things to be happening soon.

The old lady who keeps the farm we are staying has got a very nice flower and vegetable garden; a beautiful pink border of flowers, of which I enclose one for identification; also strawberries, of which some are just ripe, and we are having them for lunch. She is an energetic gardnener, as well as looking after the farm, and is very friendly to all of us, lending us her French paper every day. I have just seen to-day's, announcing the huge capture by the Russians, very cheerful news.

Love to all from

Geoff.

** Rifle Brigade, B.E.F.

June 17, 1916.

Dear Mother,

Your parcels arrived, the sweets while we were still in the trenches, and I gave some of the toffee to a platoon that had been having rather a tiresome time lately. The biscuits came the evening we got back into billets, and I and another officer had some with a cup of cocoa at about one o'clock in the night. We have adopted the new time now; I get a telegram in the trenches saying that everybody was to advance their watch an hour, so we all did it during the morning stand-to, i.e. between 2 and 3 o'clock in the mornng. We had quite a lot of rain last time, and the trenches looked quite wintry with the familiar land-slides and mud up to one's knees, but after three dry days everything is as dry as a bone again. It is rather cold, owing to the east wind.

We have seen some tremendous air fights lately, and yesterday two German aeroplanes were driven down precipitately by our own machines.

I heard that Hugh was on leave from an officer who has just joined us from the Cadet School and who was under Hugh. This officer spoke very highly of the course they did at the school and especially of Hugh's part in it.

I am glad to see that the spectator has withdrawn what it said about officers servants out here, and has repudiated W. Churchill. Of course officers servants are in the trenches all the time we are, and have their place in the firing line just as much as any one else; during the winter my servant used to patrol round with me over the top of the trenches, and was quite invaluable........

The interesting and succesful work we are doing is now longer a secret; we advanced our trenches 200 yards over a front of about 800, by digging new trenches in the night. The Boches have been very much excited at it, and have been shelling them a good deal, but without very serious damage to us.

Love to all from

Geoff.

** Rifle Brigade, B.E.F.

June 30, 1916.

Dear Mother,

We are out of the trenches again, after a rather eventful time, as things are beginning to hum round here, as the Americans say, or as the French papers have it, 'Les canons tonnent furieusement sur le front anglais'. The do, indeed, not to mention gas and smoke clouds, captive ballons brought down in flames, and all sorts of excitements. It is really rather a pleasant change after contemplating nothing but mud and sandbags for so many months, especially as one hopes it may be the beginning of a successful end.

On coming into billets our landlady greeted us with a beautiful bowl of strawberries from he garden.

We had a fine show one day this time in the trenches, just after daybreak; a miniature battle in which we were right on the flank, firing with rifles and machine guns, while on our right a big show was going on with smoke clouds and artillery, the enemy retaliating with shrapnel on our front line. It was a beautiful morning with a red sunrise, and the huge rolling landscape with woods and villages all dotted over with exploding shells and the huge clouds of smoke really looking very fine. We suffered very little, and inflicted losses on the enemy and took some prisoners.

I am giving the company a free day at the cinema show this evening.

Love to all from

Geoff.