Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Durand Group

Ralph J. Whitehead

Hello, I came across a reference to the Durand Group and the work being done at Thiepval for the new visitor's center. Has anyone had any contact with any members of this group? If so, what has your experience been?

Ralph

Not had any contact with them, but see my post about the lecture on making safe mines under vimy ridge. I assume its the same organisation. All I know is that the previous chairman Mike Watkins was killed in a trench collapse during a project to gain access to the 'O' sector mining system at Vimy in 1998. I have an article by thir current chairman Mike Dolmore in the latest issue of the Institute of Explosives engineers magazine.

john

Ralph

I think I know someone who is a very active member (ex Sapper officer). If you have any particular questions, please e-mail me and I will forward to him. I don't like giving out people's details without their permission.

Charles M

Thank you one and all. I appreciate the replies. I had been monitoring the discussion at work and each time there were no responses. It looked as if no one had any details but it seems I was wrong. I am of course looking forward to at least trying to contact this group with the hope of being able to provide some details that might prove useful to them as well as seeing if they have anything I might be able to use.

I have sent a message to Charles, thank you for your help. Chris, I used to write to Nigel Cave but it has been some time since we last talked. It is a good time to get in touch again. I am not sure if I still have his e-mail address as I have changed computers since my last message and I cannot locate his address. Would you have it by chance?

I am working on a project that attempts to explain how the defensive system came into being from September 1914 to July 1916. The project covers every available unit in the XIV Reserve Corps with maps, photos and a timeline approach to the changes made when the Germans first arrived until the 1916 offensive.

If there is ever anything I can do for all of you please ask. I do not have a great deal of time with work and the project but I am sure I still can provide some help if needed.

I will let you know how everything turns out, thanks again.

Ralph