Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Eaton Square Hospital/POW

Ian C

Has anyone heard of or got any information on a Hospital in Eaton Square, London, (Could have been No. 82). Could have been for Officers or RAF. I'm trying to reseach Flt.Lt. Gerald Featherstone Knight MC, who died there late in 1919 but does not appear on the CWGC.

Also he escaped from captivity in Germany, is there anywhere I can find info on POW's.

You may already have some of this information?

The following is taken from: List of British Officers taken prisoner in various Theatres of War between August 1914, and November, 1918

Page 149, Royal Air Force, Lieut. G. F. KNIGHT, missing 9/11/16, Escaped 13/9/17

The following information from Trevor Henshaw's book The Sky Their Battlefield

Page124, 9th Nov 1916,

2502 (Aircraft serial no.) BE2C (Type), 12 Sqn, **B (bombing operation), left 8:15am engine hit ftl (forced to land) nr MORY? MIA (missing in action) (Lt G F Knight POW) see 2506 (below), escaped to UK 13.9.17 (claim combat HAPLINCOURT Ltn H Inelmann Ja 2) ("BE" claim combat MORY 9:30am? Oblt S Kirmaier (Ja2)

2506, BE2C **B, left 8:05am ooc SAPIGNIES? MIA (2Lt IG CAMERON POW Dol (died of injuries) see 2502 (above), MvR8,("BE" claim combat BEUGNY 9:30am Ltn M Fr vRichthofen Ja2)

The following information from Royal Flying Corps Communiqués 1915-1916 Ed. Christopher Cole

Page 305, November 9th - covers pages (part 305 to part 308).

A bright clear day resulted in exceptional activity on the part of hostile aircraft. His aeroplanes actively co-operated with his artillery, on several occasions, our artillery and photographic machines were interfered with, and bombing expeditions, reconnaissance’s, and patrols were constantly engaged throughout the day over enemy's country....... ends with list of Casualties: inc. 12 sqn. 2 Lt J. C. Cameron, missing; and Lt G. F. Knight, missing.

Alan Seymour

Ian

There was a RFC Officer's Hospital in Eaton Square. I just happened upon a photograph of wounded RFC officers at the hospital in a book on Airmen of World War One. The photograph was taken in 1917 and is now with the IWM.

Myrtle

Alan & Myrtle,

Thanks for the information.

Alan, following on from your info, I have now found a site that lists Lt Knight and his observer, 2nd Lt. Cameron as the Red Barons eighth victim, so lots more to go on there.

Myrtle, next time I'm at the IWM, I'll try to get a look at that photo.

Regards

Ian