Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Migratory Camp?

Richard Osgood

Hi all,

as some may know I'm trying to research WW1 PoW Camps. I've come across a reference in a Newspaper of October 26th 1918 (Thornbury Gazette) that states the following:

"Mr F. Minett, presiding over a meeting of the Farmers' Union at Chipping Sodbury, said it was in contemplation to set up a permanent camp for German prsioners at Hawkesbury Upton. The MIGRATORY camp had not been the success anticipated...."

Can anyone tell me what a Migratory Camp is???!!!

thanks alot

Richard

Richard

Is it possible that this refers to a Migratory Labour Camp i.e. groups of POWs located together for work purposes, say at harvest time, and thus moving about the country as required with tented accommodation?

Dave

Dear Dave,

thanks for the comments - seems distinctly possible. the article also refered to possible labour at nearby (ish) Tormarton.

thanks

Richard

PS John - this is indeed Thornbury near Bristol. The musuem there has a book of press cuttings of the 14-18 war - the original papers are next to impossible to get now apparently. They also have a good WWI exhibition on at the moment including an extraordinary amount connected to a chap in a private cavalry troop that served in Mesopotamia - his buttons, spurs, letters, medals, photos, diary etc etc all good stuff. There's quite a bit of useful information in these small museums in South Gloucestershire - Kingswood Museum has a large amount on the local Douglas Motorbikes on the Western Front (and also on the local mills bomb factory), Yate has info on the RFC base and Frenchay on local Great War hospitals. If anyone wants info on possible SGlos sources - let me know; I'm lucky enough to work as an archaeologist for this council