Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bois de Butte

James Brown

Hi Folks

Whilst working on one of my jobs today, and after a good old discussion on WW1 with the client (as one does), to my amazement she proceeded to go and rummage through one of her old tea chests and pulled out a fairley large picture of the above action . It was given to her son when he came out of service a few years ago. He was in the RFA for 24 years fairly recently.

He gave the picture to his mum to keep for him but omitted to explain what it was all about. Or maybe she cant remember?

The significance of the date of action is that it was her sons birthday....27th May 1918.

I think she said the artist was Ternce Cuneo.

Any information gladly appreciated.

Could lead to some longer tea breaks tomorrow :D

James Brown

I think you are refering to the action at the Bois des Buttes of the 5th Battery XLV RFA on the 27th May 1918. Both my great uncle and grandfather were taken POW in this battle on the Aisne, both in the 50th Div.

Email me off forum if you need to know more I have a few articles about this. I would be interested in a scan of of the Cuneo painting, as I have been trying to track it down for a while now.

regards

David

Hi David

I will ask if i can take a photo tomorrow and i will get back to you off forum

Thanks

James Brown

Paul as requested

Hope this works

James

I have seen a print of this painting on sale but turned it down as I am

led to believe that it is inaccurate. The 18pdr depicted has a the MkIV

box carriage, which although went into production in 1918 neither myself

nor a friend as ever seen photographic evidence that they reached the

Western Front before hostilies ceased. If anybody knows differently I'd be

glad to hear.

Geoff

I would think that most paintings of Great War actions are rather inaccurate given the fact that they are most likely to be rather impressionistic, as it must have been difficult to balance the easel and canvas on a trench parapet during a prolonged bombardment.

regards

David ;)

• 4 weeks later...

The Battery was awarded the Croix de Guerre by the French for this action, It's formal honour title was 'Gibraltar 1779-1783'.

When I was in 5 Battery in the 1970's we wore a short length of Croix de Guerre ribbon under our beret badge in working dress. In Number 2 Dress, a similar short length of ribbon on each arm, just down from the shoulder.

'Croix de Guerre Day' was celebrated with some suitable military activity, and then some drinking!

5 Battery are now a 'composite battery' in 19 Field Regt RA.

Geoff

Four French Divisions held Chemin-des-Dames-ridge to Craonne-village, where Northumbrian 50th Division`s sector began. This British unit was smashed pretty badly in the early days of Operation Georgette and following actions and was transferred here since this was believed to be quiet sector. Right from 50th there was 8th Division and the 21th. After hideous conditions in northern parts of France and Belgium, spring landscape of Aisne must have felt like a paradise. But German artillery started to increase, but in French 6th Army`s (in which these British Divisions were) HQ they didn`t believe that German would try to attack the area. In command was French general Duchesne, who had worked in General Staff since the beginning of war. He didn`t believe in flexible defence, instead defence was stiff and everything was just piled in small area. British and French troops were all concentrated in front-line trenches which couldn`t hold a powerful bombardment. French front-line divisions and British 50th and 8th were ordered to squeeze their infantry and even artillery in small line between Ailette and Aisne, sector no deeper than 8 kilometres. So when German secretly prepared attack with bombardment and infantry assault started, British got ran over. Artillery too.