Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3rd Bn, Canterbury Regt, NZEF

Captain Dave

Just scoping out the wifes familys military history. Her great great uncle was noted as wounded in the legs due to a shell explosion on the 29 Nov 1917. What was 1st Coy, 3rd Bn Cant Regt (4th Bde) NZEF up to on this particular day?

• 1 year later...

That was my Great Uncles Battalion also and I'm researching him at the moment. On the night of the 21st November 1917 the 3rd Battalion 1st coy started their shift in the trenches and were relieved on the night of the 1st December 1917. Sorry their are no details up until 26th November 1917 as to where they were, front, support or reserve. Looking at the roster for the trenches I would make a educated guess and say they were in Reserve. On the night of the 26th November they took over the whole divisional front with the 1st Wellington, Becelaere-Passchenaele road sector. As in the History of the Canterbury Battalion NZEF. Regards Wendy

That was my Great Uncles Battalion also and I'm researching him at the moment. On the night of the 21st November 1917 the 3rd Battalion 1st coy started their shift in the trenches and were relieved on the night of the 1st December 1917. Sorry their are no details up until 26th November 1917 as to where they were, front, support or reserve. Looking at the roster for the trenches I would make a educated guess and say they were in Reserve. On the night of the 26th November they took over the whole divisional front with the 1st Wellington, Becelaere-Passchenaele road sector. As in the History of the Canterbury Battalion NZEF. Regards Wendy

The New Zealand Division was redeployed into the Line in mid November 1917. On 16 November 1917 NZ units took over about 6kms of the front line just east of Polygon Wood. At this time 3rd Battalion,Canterbury Regiment moved into the reserve area at the Railway Dug Outs on the Ypres-Menin railway line.

On the 21st Nov, 3rd Canterbury relieved 3 Auckland in the line in the left of 4 Brigade sector. The right flank being at Joiners Rest which is about 1000 yards north of Beselare on the road to Passchendaele.

On 1 Dec they were relieved by 4th Battalion 3rd(NZ)Rifle Brigade. Regards . Bernie

• 4 weeks later...

Shall be cheaky and ask if anyone wants to post a map of the area?

Heres his picture recuperating in the UK with his brother who was also wounded around the same time. Its still a small world out there.

JamesandRobHosp.jpg

Hi

I scanned the images for you but have no idea how to show them to you drat it all!! So instead here a link for the History of the Canterbury Regiment NZEF 1914-1918, the book is published online with NZET.

http://www.nzetc.org/tm/scholarly/tei-WH1-Cant.html

You will find a few maps of the area under 'Polygon Wood' There is also a guy selling trench map copies on eBay, I'm sure he has this sector 28 N.E or there abouts. There are a few old copies of the History of the Canterbury Regiment for sale on Trademe in New Zealand at the moment I was offered one for $100NZD which was very reasonable I thought.

Regards Wendy

I have a copy of the Reg History at home, but never thought to check it as I find it all big hand, small map stuff. I managed to buy it in 93 for $65.00 and always thought I payed too much! What I should do is scan the map myself and then compare it to Google Earth. I'm hoping to be near there in a few months, so may be able to have a look around the NZ Div area at some time.