Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Royal Navy and Royal Marine's

I am looking for information on the Royal Navy and the Royal Marine Commando's during the period of 1910 - 1920 if anybody has information on this then please let me know

The RM Commandos did not appear until WW2. For a good general history of RM landing forces, etc, try and get hold of "The Royal Marines - from sea soldiers to a special force." by General Julian Thompson RM. Easily obtainable in paperback ISBN 0 330 37702 7. This book covers WW1 in some depth.

However, considering your former (correctly closed) posting on this Forum and your imminent interviews, I think you will need to demonstrate a bit more initiative in briefing yourself on your intended service. This Forum is not a substitute for diligent personal research.

It may help if you get the name correct. "Marines" and "Commandos" are plurals and don't require apostrophes.

Royal Marines Commando.

Sorry to be a pedant but they may take it seriously.

I gave this new member permission to post his query a second time provided it was WW1 related. However, I did ask for the query to be 'specific'.

The above is unlikely to get a meaningful response due to its all encompassing nature.

You could also read H E Blumberg's, Britain's Sea Soldiers, volume 3: The Royal Marines in the First World War (1927, reprinted 2007). A visit to the RM Museum at Eastney would also be idea.

regards

Duncan

Heid, to really get the usage of English correct, and `like wot it is supposed to be written / spoke' perhaps you should have written ;

Pedant (IC) !

and

Royal Marine Commandos ???

`Ho Hum & Fiddly Dee' !!!

With all respect, Sadsac

The best account would be General H.E. Blumberg's "Britain's Sea Soldiers", an account of the Royal Marine Forces during the Great War. However in its original form it is difficult to find and costs a small fortune, and the reprint by Naval and Military Press is pretty steep as well if I recall.

For a cheaper and more intimate look at the Royal Marines during the First World War is "From Trench to Turret" by S.M. Holloway, compiled for the most part from the diaries and letters of Royal Marines Officers and Men providing a representative study of where they served and what it was like. It's been remaindered and if you can find it it costs only a fiver.

You won't find much detailed information in print about the Royal Marines in the period you are after. Thompson only skirts it and doesn't really do the Corps much justice, and I've yet to see anyone who has written a truly adequate history of the Royal Marines pre-amalgamation and especially pre-Commando.

Harley

Thompson only skirts it and doesn't really do the Corps much justice,

I could not disagree more strongly. One of five Parts of his excellent book - eleven chapters covering 170 pages - is devoted to the period 1918-1920. This is a more than adequate introduction for someone coming fresh to the subject. It covers WW1 for the marines at sea, on land (Gallipoli and BEF), as well as the often-forgotten expeditions to Russia after the war ended.

And of course, it covers RM history from 1664 to 1999. Blumberg is marvellous (if you can find a copy) but is not without its errors

I would say that if you combined Blumberg, Thompson and James D Ladd, The Royal Marines, 1919-1980, you will get a good overview of the Corps in the 20th Century.

If you are interested in the Marines from 1755 to 1914, Cyril Field's, Britain's Sea Soldiers gives an overview, but is in serious need of revision and updating and should be used in conjunction with Blumberg's three volume typescript held at the RM Museum (which also has its faults). Prior to 1755, there is L Edye's, The Historical Records of the Royal Marines (1893) that covers the period from 1664 to 1700. It is essential reading but very dry and the period from 1700 to 1755 needs serious attention.

To my mind Richard Brooks, The Royal Marines, 1664 to the Present (2002) is possibly the best short history and introduction to the Corps that you will find.

regards

Bootneck