Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SS Kashmir, troopship

Ian Underwood

Some of the Pals know that one of my ongoing research projects is the HMS Otranto disaster, when it was rammed in a storm in 1918 by the SS Kashmir while both were trooping off the coast of Scotland. I have quite a deal of info on the event and the Otranto in general, but can't find a pic of the Kashmir anywhere.

Finding pics of ocean liners on the net is usually a cinch, but the Kashmir has eluded me. Online searches of various National Maritime museum collections, and even ebay for old postcards, have resulted in nowt.

Anyone help out? Ian.

Ian

The Kashmir was a P & O ship and I hope to att a pic below

I have taken it from here

It's a stern view and if this is no good, then perhaps one of her sisters might do? They were all built within the same two years, are all +/- the same tonnage and over-all size and all carried the same number of passengers. Also all were scrapped at about the same time. The sister ships were; Kalyan, Karmala, Kashgar, Khiva and the Khyber

Regards

Michael D.R.

post-24-1076505975.jpg

Thanks both of you, very pleased with the pic of the ship and the link to pics of her sister ships.

Seems I'm not as clever as I thought, as I had searched the NMM database for the kashmir about 6 months ago, but could'nt find it - but there is a single pic listed there now. Also, whilst I did'nt know of the website you pointed me to Michael, most of those pics are available via the Picture Australia searchable database, which I had visted before to find a pic of the Otranto.

Thanks again.