Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

In From The Cold Project News

Terry Denham

Update.

The stalwart band of volunteers is continuing to plough through the GRO Overseas Death Index (SDGW is completed).

The first letter batch (A) has now been cross checked and we finally have 41 names which appear to be non-coms. The Death Certificates for these are being ordered this week and, after one more check, they will be then forwarded to MoD/CWGC through the GWF system.

The next letter batch (B surprisingly) is being checked now and the volunteers are well into the letter C.

Keep up the good work.

Well done to all concerned......

I am at a total loss to why this hasn't been attempted before by a government agency! I presume you guys are having to pay for all the D.C's?

In terms of the first batch, there has been a very generous donation from a Forum member who wishes to remain anonymous.

Terry is involved in discussions elsewhere to secure funding for the remainder of the project.

Brilliant work. I think we should make quite a splash about this. If you like, give me some headlines and I'll bash out a press release.

Guest geoff501

Well done to all.

So it looks like the original estimate of up to 1500 names will hold true.

When the 41 have hopefully gone through, I presume it will help with the negotiations with the DC funding?

I presume it will help with the negotiations with the DC funding?

Geoff

I don't know the state of play over the negotiations but it must help, rather than hinder. The current estimate of numbers is much more modest than many previous speculations (including mine). As such, it means that it won't cost as much as might have been thought - always a good selling point.

John

I suggest we wait a week or so until the DCs are received and checked.

There are two or three of the names who could be in CWGC's database already with all details except service number being the same. The service number on GRO/SDGW is often an earlier number than that held by CWGC it turns out (and vice versa). The DC will give a date of death which should help weed out any of these.

very good news indeed

Chris

Geoff

The current estimate of numbers is much more modest than many previous speculations (including mine).

John

John

I think the biggest problem is going to be post discharge deaths & also in service deaths in the UK who are not recorded on SDGW - my last two submissions to Terry fall into the not on SDGW category - anyway well done to all concerned

Chris

To clarify...

The In From The Cold Project will NOT find the following.....

1) Post-discharge deaths

2) Dominion or colonial forces deaths

3) UK 'home' in-service deaths not listed on SDGW (it is an incomplete record & no officers are allocated a theatre of death)

4) Overseas UK in-service deaths missing from GRO (there are a few missing seemingly or they may be under different names)

5) 'Home' in-service RAF deaths post 11.11.18 and any others missing from 'Airmen Died' (if any)

6) Any missing from the GRO Naval Index (includes both home and overseas deaths)

At the end of the Project (if we are all still here!) we will not be able to say we have caught every UK in-service death but we will have captured the greater majority of them!

problem is going to be post discharge deaths

As such, I'm sure you're right, Chris.

Unfortunately, one cannot know what one cannot know.

John

John

you are of course correct - just got to keep submitting them when I find them

Chris

Excellent news that the first batch is just about there. Having played a very small role in cross checking some of the Home deaths on the SDGW, my feelings are that even if only one name is added, my time was well spent.

• 3 weeks later...
John

you are of course correct - just got to keep submitting them when I find them

Chris

Just to let you all know that Im at present trawling throught the death columns of the Times to try to locate any non commemorated.

The criteria that Im sticking to at the moment is to avoid those KIA or DOW as the SDGW & GRO check is likely to pick these up - basically Im just looking throught the ordinary death columns - have picked up a possible 12 so far up to the end of 1914

Chris