Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German POW in England

leadders

You will find Graham Mark's Prisoners of War in British Hands during WW1 (The Postal History Society, 2007) useful. There is also material at the National Archives under a number of their classes, including much in FO 383. You will also find material at the IWM and possibly at local Record Offices.

regards

Duncan

Thanks Duncan

yes the heading did say England but then i realised that POW's could have been held in any of the home countries.

an apt nickname (Heid the ba)

Dave

Dave,

Are you looking for information on a specific person or just generally interested in all aspects?

Doug

Hi Doug,

I am looking for a Hans Anacker all i know is that he married Winifred James in Penarth South Wales about 1907

and i assume at the out break of war he was interned somewhere i belive he later went to America.

Thanks

Dave

In which case he wasn't a POW but an civilian internee which had an entirely different legal status. There was a general round up on the outbreak of war. I believe that York was one such centre for gathering people(but not the only one) . Some who were deemed not to be a threat were later released and left for neutral countries or even stayed and resumed their occupations (I think they had to report to the police at regular intervals).

Given, that in the area were I live, real POWs would live in small groups (often housed in barns) without permanent guards and travel unsupervised to and from the farms where they worked security was not always that tight.

The National Archives (Kew) has a list of all enemy aliens interned in WW1 HO 144/11720 . Unfortunately it seems that it is organized not as a simple alphabetical list but by name within camp so if you don't know which camp (if any) he was in then then it could take time to find him. They also have a list of all enemy aliens not interned or in a lunatic asylum and a separate list of all enemy aliens in lunatic asylums (I use the terminology of the time)

There were camps all over the place but, (as in ww2) the Isle of Man had the largest number of internees. I believe that the Manx authorities may have some records of their own so this is another place to look.

Perhaps I should add that enemy aliens in 'lunatic asylums' weren't necessarily suffering from mental problems. The asylums were set up to keep people in a reasonably secure environment and were used to hold those who for a multiplicity of reasons didn't go to the specially set up camps.

The National Archives (Kew) has a list of all enemy aliens interned in WW1 HO 144/11720 . Unfortunately it seems that it is organized not as a simple alphabetical list but by name within camp so if you don't know which camp (if any) he was in then then it could take time to find him. They also have a list of all enemy aliens not interned or in a lunatic asylum and a separate list of all enemy aliens in lunatic asylums (I use the terminology of the time)

Hello Centurion,

very interesting for me to read this thread. My grandfather also had been a POW in England. I would be able to name the essential dates to identify him.

Do you think it could be possible even today to get some informations about his time there???!!

Kind regards

Fritz

Fritz

I simply don't know. If he was interned as an enemy alien ( that is if he was a civilian living in Britain when the war broke out) then he ought to be on one of the lists I've mentioned. If he was a soldier, sailor (or airman) captured and sent to a military POW camp then I don't know who would have kept a list or where it would have been kept. The names of all such German POWs held by Britain would have been notified to the neutral country that acted as 'protecting power' but I'm not sure which country that would have been or if the records would have survived. I'm sure that the War Office who would have been responsible for running the proper POW camps would have had some sort of record but an awful lot of records got lost in the London blitz in 1940/1. If such a record did survive I'd guess that it might now be in Kew.

Graham Mark has recently published a book on around sixty camps. Neil Russell updated a list produced by F J Carter in 1996, available from Chevron Press, Perthshire.

There were camps all over the place but, (as in ww2) the Isle of Man had the largest number of internees. I believe that the Manx authorities may have some records of their own so this is another place to look.

Do you know how many PoWs were put into asylums. Does it say where these asylums were. I know of at least one. A pow died at Mulligar. He is buried at Glencree.

Do you know how many PoWs were put into asylums. Does it say where these asylums were. I know of at least one. A pow died at Mulligar. He is buried at Glencree.

As far as I know only civilian internees were in asylums, it was policy where possible to intern some where close to where they lived. For where you'd have to look at the list at Kew that I mentioned I DONT HAVE IT. If your man was a military prisoner - a genuine POW then I'd suspect that he was there as a patient

Internees were held in a variety of establishments, former workhouses, hutted camps, institutes for alcoholics ect, ect. Many were held on the Isle of Man, information about which can be found on the internet. . The National Archive holds records for some of these establishments. The file for the Islington Internment Camp (a former workhouse) is worth reading, and will give you a flavour of what happened in these establishments. It can be found in the Metropolitan Police files - MEPO 2/1633. It is quite illuminating as regards to conditions and to the attitude of the authorities. It also contains a partial list of the names of internees.

TR

• 4 weeks later...
Graham Mark has recently published a book on around sixty camps. Neil Russell updated a list produced by F J Carter in 1996, available from Chevron Press, Perthshire.

Do you happen to remember the title of that second book? I can't find anything for Chevron Press unfortunately.

The following is a short list of books available on internment and PoWs in Great Britain during WW1.

There is also a bibliography in Graham Mark's book

My books

An Insight into civilian Internment in Britain During WW1; From the diary of Richard Hoschke and a short essay by Rudolf Rocker; Anglo-German Family History Society; 1998

Correspondence Between His Majesty’s Government and the United States Ambassador respecting the Treatment of German Prisoners of War and Interned Civilians in the United Kingdom. H.M.S.O., London, Miscellaneous No 5 (1915), (Cd 7815)

Die Mannerinsel, F L Dunbar – Kalckreuth; Paul Lift Verlag; Leipzig; 1940

German Prisoner of War 1914 – 1919; Great War History No 3; Tony Allen; York 1999

Great Britain’s Humane Treatment of German Prisoners of War; Robert Machray; The Great War; The Standard History of the World-Wide Conflict; Vol XII; Part 233, 1919

German Prisoners in Great Britain; Tilletson and Son, London; c1917

In England Kriegsgefangenen; Major a. D Bruno Schmidt-Reder; George Bath, Berlin, 1916

Living with the Wire; Civilian Internment in the Isle of Man during the two world wars; Yvonne M Cresswell (Ed); Manx National Heritage; Douglas, 1994

Prisoners of War in British Hands during WWI; A study of their history, the camps and their mails; Graham Mark; The Postal History Society, 2007

Prisoners of War Information Bureau; List of Places of Internment (Reprint)

Reports of Visits of Inspection made by Officials of the United States embassy to Various Internment Camps in the United Kingdom Miscellaneous No 30 (1916) (Cd 8324) H.M.S.O., London

The German Prisoner of War Camp at Leigh 1914 – 1919; Leslie Smith; Neil Richardson; 1986

The Prisoners of War Information Bureau in London; A Study; Ronald F Roxburgh; Longmans, Green and Co; London 1915

The Treatment of Prisoners of War in England and Germany during the First Eight months of the War, H.M.S.O, London, 1915

Theatre ohne Frau; Das Buhnenleben der Kriegs Gefangenen Deutschen; Herman Porzgen; Ost-Europa Verlag, Konigsberg, 1933

Available on the internet;

My Escape from Donnington Hall; Gunther Plüschow; Bodley Head London; 1922

Other books

Enemies in our Midst; Panikos Panayi; Berg

Internment of Enemy aliens in great Britain, within the Empire and at Sea During 1914; Len Barnett; 2004

The internment and treatment of German Nationals during the First World War; John Oswald Walling; Riparian Publishing; 2005

The Internment of Aliens in Twentieth Century Britain (special issue of “Immigrants and Minorities”); David Cesarani (ed) and Tony Kushner (ed);

Time stood still. My internment in England, 1915-18; Paul Cohen Portheim; 1917

Cheers Doug.

Got a couple of those, and heard of another couple, but always good to get a decent list. B)B)

• 4 years later...
Guest MicheleUK

Hi members!

I have done a lot of family research but when it comes to my great grandmother's German husband, Henry Stohp, there's nothing. My grandfather, now deceased, believed Mr. Stohp abandoned his family at the onset of WW1 but documentation showed in 1919 my great grandmother was widowed young with two small children to care for. The only documentation with Mr.Stohp's name is the 1911 marriage certificate to my great grandmother.

How can I find out if Mr. Stohp was placed in an internment camp? If he died in one?

My great grandmother had to apply to have her British Nationality re-enstated which she did in 1928 (she died in 1931). Why was she considered German when she was British, born of British parents and had never left the UK at anytime? My grandfather had said his mothers parents actually disowned her for marrying a German.

I live in Canada so most of my research has been on Ancestry.co.uk and through private researchers.

Thank you for any feed back.

Michele

Welcome, Michelle.

By marrying a German, your great grandmother had automatically become a German citizen even though she was born in England to British parents.

Kath.

There was a POW camp at Frith Hill Frimley Surrey.

Some of the prisoners that died in captivity were buried at Deepcut but moved to Staffordshire.

Where the camp was in now Pine Ridge Golf course.

Joe