Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Woolwich Arsenal workers

seaJane

Evening all,

I have been looking for images of Woolwich Arsenal women munition workers 1914-1918 but most of the links that come up on doing a Search of the forum seem to be out of date.

Does anyone know where there might be images online? It would be great to spot my mum's mum and aunt in a group filling shells somewhere (I know there were hundreds so it's a needle in a haystack job!)

Failing that if anyone has any such photographs I'd be very grateful for a look ...

Best wishes and thanks

(sea)Jane

Hi Seajane

Not directly of help but I am visiting the Woolwich Arsenal Firepower Museum in a couple of weeks and also going to the Royal Artillery Library, they are two distinct units. But I will make enquiries to see if they can suggest any links.

My grandfather (and great grandfather) both worked at the Arsenal with my grandfather going on to serve in the Royal Garrison Artillery from 1916.

Having said all that I am sure a forum member will be able to give you some more specific advice.

Hi Seajane

Not directly of help but I am visiting the Woolwich Arsenal Firepower Museum in a couple of weeks and also going to the Royal Artillery Library, they are two distinct units. But I will make enquiries to see if they can suggest any links.

My grandfather (and great grandfather) both worked at the Arsenal with my grandfather going on to serve in the Royal Garrison Artillery from 1916.

Having said all that I am sure a forum member will be able to give you some more specific advice.

Most kind of you Cliff,

VMT

seaJane

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Seajane

Not much help Im afraid.

The Old Woolwich Arsenal site is being redeveloped. There are at least 3 different units on site dealing with different aspects.

The James Clavell Royal Artillery Library. Their focus is on Royal Artillery and not the Arsenal and where I was based.

The Firepower museum. Which is exactly that. It has a small shop which really focuses on school parties. Quite disappointing.

The Greenwich Heritage Centre. (seperate building but on the same site)

When I enquired about Women workers in the Woolwich Arsenal at the Firepower Museum they directed me to the Greenwich Heritage Centre. I have visited this in the past and it contains local historic records. Not sure if it has anything that would help.

I did try and contact the MOD regarding records held on Woolwich Arsenal employees (I think in Wales) and was told that they had been destroyed for pre 1918 era.

So you may wish to contact the Greenwich Heritage Centre but not sure it will be fruitful.

Sorry

I have two books in my collection concerning The Royal Arsenal Woolwich, these being:- The Royal Arsenal Woolwich by Roy Masters ISBN 0-7509-0894-7 and Aspects of the Arsenal: The Royal Arsenal, Woolwich edited by Beverly Burford and Julian Watson ISBN 0-904399-16-8

John

I've found that since they moved to Highbury and now the Emirates they only employ workers from France and the French colonies.

I'll get me coat . . .

Thanks again Cliff, very kind of you to take the trouble.

John, the books are noted - I'll go and bother the inter-library loans desk.

Jane

Until a few years ago there was a Woolwich Arsenal Historic Society, run by former employees, and they had a very good web site, with lots interesting images. But about three or four years ago the website folded, due I think to lack of funding. The following old forum thread gives some ideas, but of the links provided there, it is the fourth one down that belonged to the Society, and no longer works. I feel that some of the members of that Society must still be around in the local area, and maybe enquiries to local archives will turn up some contacts - at least one of them is probably still the owner of some wonderful images.

Sue

Thanks Sue, I think I did find that thread earlier and was hoping a revival of the question might direct me to a more recent website. Sad that the old one went down :(