Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Death Certificates, the necessity of.

Derek Robertson

What is the official line (i.e CWGC, MOD etc) regarding the necessity of producing a Death Certificate in the case of any non-commemoration?

I have no idea or knowledge of what happens in the rest of the UK but in Scotland we can usually buy an extract from Government sources at a fraction of the price of an official certificate and this shows everything that is shown on the full blown, full cost certificate. Is this admissible?

I am currently sitting on 23 non-com cases and there is little chance of me putting forward any names if I am charged £7+ just to be able to add the names in the hope, not expectation, of official endorsement.

Example below:

post-172-1207764019.jpg

Derek,

I only ever use full D.C's and yes each one costs me £7! There doesn't appear to be any signatures on the document you produce above which gives it an official certification. The MoD is most unlikely to accept this as certified fact. I'm sure it has been attempted in the past without success.

There doesn't appear to be sufficient room for cause of death either. I have had some cases where they died of a combination of more than 5 illnesses! It follows that some facts might not be fully recorded. Is this the actual register? If so then the only problem will be certification.

Rather than just sitting on them all, why not send them to me. I would be happy to cover all disbursements myself? They shall remain YOUR cases too.

How did you trace them all Derek? Seems you have been very very busy indeed... These men deserve to be commemorated. I'm not bothered who does it providing someone trys...

All the very best.

Neil

Neil,

The Scottish records of death are an official extract off the actual death certificate so the only thing missing off them is a signature from a G.P.

Surely common sense dictates that as this is an official record as recorded in the official Scottish records, that these death records can be used?

Even as an extract, they are certified by the government as 100% accurate as they are compliled by government employees.

post-172-1207769951.jpg

All you ever get is an extract from the register. The A4 form you get when you register a death is headed, "Extract of an entry in a REGISTER of DEATHS". Extracts of a register have the same validity as the the register itself.

Copies of extracts have no validity however, regardless of who produces them.

I'm not sure what you have there Derek, whether it is an extract or a copy. Where did it come from?

Surely common sense dictates that as this is an official record as recorded in the official Scottish records, that these death records can be used?

I totally agree with you Derek, but remember your dealing with public servants who often don't possess an ounce of common sense! It's all about showing us (middle class whites) whose boss...

My son was asked for a form of identification last week when he tried to obtain a KCC library ticket. When he produced his BRITISH ARMY I.D CARD (he's a T.A soldier 3 PWRR) he was told this was useless and that he needed a driving licence or passport! You couldn't make it up...

Derek

There is no problem using the document you have illustrated. I have used them myself for non-coms and they carry the same weight as an England/Wales DC.

Go ahead and put them forward or we can do it through GWF if you wish.

The images or extracts come from "Scotland's People" - http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

It costs "credits" to look at an extract but at £1 far cheaper than having to order an official extract.

Images of Statutory deaths in Scotland from 1855 to 1957 are available to view on the site. The digital images are scans of the microfiche copy of the original register page containing the entry. It therefore contains the same information you would normally see when looking at the actual record.

What Derek shows is a single entry from a page. He has cropped out the rest of the page which give gives other two entries with the heading and the Registrar's page end signature at the bottom. Having several items listed relating to a cause of death is not a great difficulty since there are eight lines in the form for this. In certain cases of death there could be a Record of Corrected Entry which has fuller details therein.

Sounds like it is a copy of an extract. Same as a copy of a fiver has all the info on it but no value. As they accept them it will save you a bit of cash though.

Good work Derek.