Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Die deutsche Kraftverteilung wahrend des Weltkrieg

5th Horseman

I'm looking for information from this volume by Gehre.

I provides a large chart showing the strength in divisions of German Armies and Army Groups for the 15th and 30th of every month of the war. I'm looking for a copy of the chart.

The book itself is quite hard to find.

Thanks.

I'm looking for information from this volume by Gehre.

I provides a large chart showing the strength in divisions of German Armies and Army Groups for the 15th and 30th of every month of the war. I'm looking for a copy of the chart.

The book itself is quite hard to find.

Thanks.

Morning,

The book "Die deusche Kräfteverteilung während des Weltkrieges," by Ludwig Gehre, is available through the German library system. It's also at the Library of Congress.

There's also a copy for sale at add all books:

add all

As a suggestion, when asking about books like this, it's helpful if you give your location (change your profile to at least include your country) and if you double check the spelling of the title and give the author's full name, if known.

Paul

P.S. Actually wasn't the location thing suggested to you before in another thread? Did you ever get your copy of "Der Weltkrieg"? ;)

OK, Paul, second time you trumped me.

I checked the Library of Congress. I got the spelling from the Official Histories and checked it twice! Go figure.

Yes again, sorry about the location thing. I'm in America.

I'm still waiting on volume 13 and 14.

I do know volume 14 is only 21 pages but, has 28 maps.

OK, Paul, second time you trumped me.

I checked the Library of Congress. I got the spelling from the Official Histories and checked it twice! Go figure.

Yes again, sorry about the location thing. I'm in America.

I'm still waiting on volume 13 and 14.

I do know volume 14 is only 21 pages but, has 28 maps.

When searching for longer titles like the one you've asked about, even one or two errors could keep you from getting the reults you want from a digitized library catalogue. You were missing both of your Ä's and it's Weltkrieges vs. Weltkrieg.

Not sure what you mean by volume 14 is only 21 pages? Volume 14 of "Der Weltkrieg 1914 bis 1918" is 793 pages, 53 inserts, and 41 maps and sketches.

Paul

P.S. Thanks for adding your location it will help you here at the forum!

Paul,

The Library of Congress copy of Der Weltkrieg is on microfilm. They have sent me a price based on 21 pages and 28 maps.

I have been searching for an Order of Battle for the west front, as near as possible to March 21, 1918.

I had pinned my hopes on Volume 14. Every time I find a new clue I end up buying a book, then another book.

And still I have absolutely no idea what is happening on most of the front not included in the Great Battle in France.

This has been a most expensive hunt and it looks as if I shall be disappointed once again.

Thanks for the information, I think I need a beer.

Paul,

The Library of Congress copy of Der Weltkrieg is on microfilm. They have sent me a price based on 21 pages and 28 maps.

I have been searching for an Order of Battle for the west front, as near as possible to March 21, 1918.

I had pinned my hopes on Volume 14. Every time I find a new clue I end up buying a book, then another book.

And still I have absolutely no idea what is happening on most of the front not included in the Great Battle in France.

This has been a most expensive hunt and it looks as if I shall be disappointed once again.

Scott,

I can feel your frustration and understand how it gets expensive. As an alternative do you have any chance to visit the libraries where the information is coming from? It may cost you some days, or holiday days, depending on what you're doing, but in the long run the cost of travel, and a hotel for a night might be outweighed by the information you find, and the price you save in purchasing books that only provide a page or two of information.

What you're trying to do--research at a distance--is very difficult.

I've never been to LOC, but I would think a trip there would get you access to all you need.

Paul

Paul,

Scott,

Did you get what you needed? I'm going to be gone for 10 days, but if you didn't let me know, and I'll see what I can find here. I can't promise anything, but I'll try if the LOC stuff is a bomb.

Paul

Paul,

I have nothing as yet. It takes a while to receive copies from the LOC. But I hold no great hope, based on the page and map count.

What's worse. There appear to be a Volume 14a AND 14b (?) at the Naval War College. The kicker is, with the state of security I am not allowed access to the campus and they have no research service. UGH!!!!!

If you feel it is not a burden, I would greatly appreciate any help.

I have spent a year and quite a few dollars for what I thought would be a simple proposition.

I definitely need a beer.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Scott,

I haven't forgotten about you. The Hessen library is closed on the day when the reading room stays open later (closed for May Day, or whatever they calll it here), so this week hasn't worked out for me doing some poking around--hopefully next week will be better.

Paul