Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

VC action pictures

Coldstreamer

Is it likely that a picture of a VC action would have an accurate drawing of the wounded man the VC winner saved, or is he more likely to just be a representation of the man he saved?

Thanks

I think that a little more information is required. Is the picture contemporary? (If I drew the picture it would have no resemblence to any man :ph34r:) Is at a particular action?

Interesting, nonetheless.

Roxy

Out of any WW1 'rescue' VC action,in my ever so 'umble opinion,I would say that it was not only unlikely but impossible.

For 1,the artist would have to have been there(nigh on impossible)& also depends on if the rescued party survived.

The only way I can see the artist getting a good impression of the others involved would be if he/they were officers(senior?) & there were photos of him.

Dave.

As any survey been undertaken to match existing pictures of V.C, winners form lets say 1870 onwards

to period photographs of the actual people involved?

In all likelihood what we see in the paintings will be the artists impression of the man, men, event. portrayed.

Connaught Stranger :D

Like Dave said (sort of), it's possible if photographs were available.

Just looking up Matania as a random example, he seems to have often worked from photographs:

when his illustrations depicted specific news events he would receive information, photographs or rough sketches and descriptions from on-the-scene reporters or eye-witness reports. Drawing on personal experience and technique as well as on information from archive photographs or prints he would then set to work composing and finishing the required illustration.

Did you have a particular picture/artist in mind, Ian?

I was just wondering if I could find a picture of a Coldstream VC winner dragging in his wounded colleauge would the picture be accurate of both men

I thought perhaps unlikely but I have no experience of ww1 art so asked

Would be fair to say the image of the VC winner would probably be reasonably accurate, as they would have been feted at the time, with photos in newspapers (and, of course, the obligatory oil painting for the Nat Portrait Gallery), however it is less likely the newspapers would have had, or printed, photos of the rescued man (although it is possible, of course).

The answer is to review all the contemporary stories of the action to see if any do have photos of the wounded man... but I imagine you have already done this, suggesting photos are not available, suggesting it probably wouldn't have been available to the artist either...

Jim

I have a pciture of the VC action at Nery, painted in 1984 by Peter Archer, the subjects are accurate studies.

Mick

it is less likely the newspapers would have had, or printed, photos of the rescued man

True, but the artist could have asked him or his family for a photo, so I wouldn't rule it out.

thanks - now just got to try and find one!