Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Killed in Action - But not on CWGC

rj.hoare

Hello, I am trying to research a chap by the name of Joseph HADLEY who was a Private with the 3rd Worcestershire Regiment, Regimental Number 5405.

His Medal Index Card shows that he was K in A, but the CWGC site has no details of him with that Regimental Number, although there is a Private Joseph HADLEY of the 3rd Worcestershire Regiment, but with the Regimental Number 7979.

The MIC's are pretty good at recording the change of regiments for the individual or their regimental numbers as they increased but not so in this case, I wonder? Are these 2 individuals the same man, or has my man simply fallen through the net, considering the CWGC records werent compiled until 1921??

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...2/8/0/31228.pdf

The Overseas Deaths Register only lists one Joseph Hadley with the Worcesters. Middle initial "A" and his service number was 202086 and he was a 1917 death. His MIC has no previous number.

It is possible, therefore, that your man is a non-commemorated although without some additional evidence CWGC may well not accept that he died. The MIC may be in error.

You will have spotted that 7979 was a 1914 death so it is unlikely he is your man.

Hoping it's OK with you, but I've asked a moderator to move the thread to the "possible non-commem" sub-forum.

John

Its very odd 6 Joseph Hadleys MICs in the Worc, Rgt when there are only 23 in all regiments and Corps. I think there may be some sort of cock up going on unless the Worc Hadleys have inbred :D . There is no sign of him on Soldiers died.

The Overseas Deaths Register only lists one Joseph Hadley with the Worcesters. Middle initial "A" and his service number was 202086 and he was a 1917 death. His MIC has no previous number.

It is possible, therefore, that your man is a non-commemorated although without some additional evidence CWGC may well not accept that he died. The MIC may be in error.

You will have spotted that 7979 was a 1914 death so it is unlikely he is your man.

Hoping it's OK with you, but I've asked a moderator to move the thread to the "possible non-commem" sub-forum.

John

Hi John, Thanks for that info, although my Joseph Hadley would also have been a 1914 detah, possibly, as he was enttiled to the 1914 Star having entered September 1914. As for the other comment, I did think it odd that there were so many Hadley's from the Worcestershire area! No, I have no problem with him going over to the non-commen area, as this will need some digging into I suspect.

His Medal Index Card shows that he was K in A, but the CWGC site has no details of him with that Regimental Number, although there is a Private Joseph HADLEY of the 3rd Worcestershire Regiment, but with the Regimental Number 7979.

CWGC has this soldier as JOHN Hadley.

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Gwan-Dai,

I am sure that Joseph Hadley has been commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial but under his real name of Harry Lydeard. I have JOSEPH HADLEY'S 1914 Star Roll entry and his entry has his number as 5405 and "Killed in Action 18-10-16".. C.Q.M.S. Harry Lydeard also has the number 5405 and his date of death is 18-10-16. To much of a co-incidence, it must be the same man.

Regards Mike Jones

Hello Gwan-Dai,

I am sure that Joseph Hadley has been commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial but under his real name of Harry Lydeard. I have JOSEPH HADLEY'S 1914 Star Roll entry and his entry has his number as 5405 and "Killed in Action 18-10-16".. C.Q.M.S. Harry Lydeard also has the number 5405 and his date of death is 18-10-16. To much of a co-incidence, it must be the same man.

Regards Mike Jones

Could Hadley be an anagram using first two letters of first name and jumbled first four letters of surname? ie HA (rry) LYDE (ard)? That makes him serving under an alias.

• 12 years later...
On 21/04/2008 at 10:30, Richard Jones said:

These look like two different men to me. Separate MICs and medal roll entries for both with different dates of entry, Hadley was 3rd Worcesters and Lydeard 4th Worcesters.

Service record for Hadley indicates that he was a Boer War vet born around 1875 and was discharged on 21/11/1915 (termination of engagement). He lived in Oldbury and was married to Sarah Cole in 1907 with two children, Joseph (born 27/02/1911) and George (born 27/12/1912).

Pension records for Lydeard show him to be the son of Martha Lydeard of Stour Street, Spring Hill, Birmingham. 1911 Census places him at the same address, a single man age 29 (born about 1882).

Presumably the KIA date for Hadley is an error?

Edited by PaulC78

• 3 years later...

Re-checked this one...

Service record for Hadley states that he served with the Expeditionary Force in France from 12/09/1914 to 11/11/1915, and was discharged on 21/11/1915 (as stated above). His address on discharge was 4 Steel Row, Halesowen Street, Oldbury, and he was a chemical worker. These are his family details:

gbm_wo363-4_007272957_00640-1.jpg.5272f229c35559816905a5b19c4fd42c.jpg

(Source: FindMyPast)

The 1921 Census for that address shows that Joseph was still alive, widowed, and living with (I assume) his mother-in-law:

GBC_1921_RG15_13297_0067.jpg.3285c6d8070898425a1c13715e246a57.jpg

(Source; FindMyPast)

The medal roll must therefore be incorrect, he was probably confused with Harry Lydeard due to having the same service number.