Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Two pictures from my family

slap42

The first is a bit of an oddity:

GirlFront.jpg

GirlBack.jpg

I think this is a girl dressed in her sweetheart/husband's uniform. Any ideas from the cap badge?

The second is a girl who seems to have been a bit of a modern woman, especially as her family was not a wealthy one. Her name is Minnie Harkess. Can anybody identify the uniform? I think it is WRAF, and might be post-war, but I'm not sure.

MinnieHarkess.jpg

The cap badge appears to be RA (Royal Artillery). Agree that Minnie's uniform appears to be WRAF.

Trust that helps.

George

WRAF certainly. This was the uniform used for most of its period, particularly by the WRAF in occupied Germany. However, it is not the final uniform which was much more buttoned up and les attractive.

NGG

WRAF certainly. This was the uniform used for most of its period, particularly by the WRAF in occupied Germany. However, it is not the final uniform which was much more buttoned up and les attractive.

NGG

George, there was also a letter dated 1912 with the batch of pictures from the CO of the Seaforth Battery, Liverpool, expressing his regret at the death of one of his Gunners. I'm now wondering if this picture and that letter are tied together.

royalredcross, thanks for the confirmation. Minnie definitely seems to have been a woman ahead of her times, to be off gallivanting in the WRAF when most of her contemporaries would be more concerned with marriage and children.

I think this is a girl dressed in her sweetheart/husband's uniform. Any ideas from the cap badge?

It says "from your sister" down the side of the postcard.