Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bombardier

1st east yorks

Hello,

I'm researching an artillery Bombardier and need help please with some basic questions,

Am i right in thinking that a bombardier is the artillery equivalent of the infantry corporal?

What would a bombardiers role in the battery be?

How many men would he be in charge of?

If a driver moved rank to a L/Bombardier or Bombardier,could he still be a driver?

Thanks in advance,

Anthony.

Yes Bombardier is equivalent to Corporal

Correct me if I am wrong, but in WW1 was not a Bombardier the equivalent of a Lance Corporal? Or did it change somewhere between 1914 and 1918.

My uncle's RFA BWM and AVM have "Corporal" inscribed on them.

Correct me if I am wrong, but in WW1 was not a Bombardier the equivalent of a Lance Corporal? Or did it change somewhere between 1914 and 1918.

My uncle's RFA BWM and AVM have "Corporal" inscribed on them.

Quite right Squirrel ... Corporal & Bombardier till early 20's (no ref to hand) then Bombardier & Lance Bombadier thereafter.

Dan

AO 142 of 1920 made the 'bombardier for corporal' change.

This is what Dawnay says:

In 1920 the rank of Bombardier RA and 2nd Corporal RE RAOC was abolished, and the NCOs holding it were promoted to Corporal, while those who already held the latter rank were appointed Lance-Sergeants. At the same time, the title of the rank of Corporal RA was changed to Bombardier.

Before that date, Lance-Bombardiers, Acting Bombardiers and Bombardiers all wore a single chevron, according to Campbell.

Thanks for your replies,so a bombardier during ww1 was the equivalent of a lance corporal.

Would he be in charge of a section(14 men)as in the infantry?

Did they have a specific role in the battery?

Thanks,

Anthony.

Might be a lead driver, or number 2 on an artillery piece ..... a full sergeant usually commanded each gun. RA tasks were, rightly, weapon-orientated. A single gun was served by a 'half-section', a pair of guns was a 'section' with a subaltern in charge, three sections to a battery, major in charge, captain 2ic.

I am not an artillery expert but think that is about right.

Thanks Grumpy.

Anthony.

As Grumpy says could be one of a number of positions including:

Lead driver, gun layer, rangefinder, signaller etc or even wheelwright, farrier, mechanic, etc.

Thanks Squirrel,

Anthony.